CARE MAKES NOISE FROM REAR CABIN

2004 Nissan Quest

dan1234

February, 15, 2013 AT 8:04 PM

Care makes noise from rear cabin. The noise has been getting progressivley worse over the last 10,000 miles. I thought it was tires because they needed it. The noise did not stop. Seems to be louder the faster I go. Did notice that when I turn to the left the noise subsides but returns as soon as I staraighten out again. Have not checked struts for leaking or damage. But the noise has been very slowly progrssing.

February, 16, 2013 AT 6:13 AM

Symptoms indicates the wheel bearings are bad.

Lift up each wheel and with handbrakes released, spin the tires and note if there are any noise. Putting your hands on the strut springs would give you an indication if there are any problem with the vibrations felt.

dan1234

February, 16, 2013 AT 8:06 AM

What a m looking for when I put my hands on the strut springs. If the bearings are bad how hard would the fix be. Do it myself or take it to the shop. Thank you for the help. I was wondering if it was the struts that needed replacement.

February, 16, 2013 AT 1:42 PM

Good bearings would not show anything but if the bearings are bad, you would feel vibrations as the wheel are spinning.
Struts do not cause noise when vehicle is running, especially roaring noises. Whether they are bad or not would require some testing. At the mileage and age of vehicle, the struts should be at least halfway through their lifespan.

If you have some basic tools and sockets, you should be able to replace the bearing yourself.

dan1234

February, 16, 2013 AT 5:25 PM

Thank you

February, 16, 2013 AT 7:46 PM

You're welcome.

dominicano4u16

September, 14, 2013 AT 7:45 AM

Yes that is the rear bearing that are bad. That humming noise means the bearing need replacing. Buy them at ebay. How to tell what side. Easy, drive your van on the expressway, turn off radio and put windows up and listen for the hum. Start by chaning lanes as you do you'll lift weight from one side and this will make is less noisy. Meaning that if change to the lane on the right the van created a g-force leaning to the left side and this puts less weight on the bearing if the sound degrades this means the bearing to the right is bad if the sound stays the same try changing to your left lane and create that same g-force to allow the van to lean on the right side lifting the weight of the left bearing. And this should allow you to tell which bearing is bad. If the sound doesn't degrade at all. This means both bearing are bad. Changing them will solve your humming problem.
Changing them is no hard task. Take apart the brakes, rotor (note rotor will be hard to remove grab a hammer and tap between screws until rotor brakes loose), and with rotor off you should see the screws which is called a spindle. This entire piece is the bearing assembly. Take this off with four screws on the back side. Replace bearings and assemble again.

Sin. Jeffrey rodriguez.

Shock Replacement - Front Chevrolet Silverado
Air Shock Replacement Mercedes Benz S Class
Replace Tie Rod End
Sway Bar Link Replacement Subaru Legacy
Lower Control Arm Bushing Replacement Honda
Sway Bar Link Replacement Chevrolet Silverado