CAR SHAKING

• Blkagrl
  • 2004 MITSUBISHI ENDEAVOR

2004 Mitsubishi endeavor is shaking while driving between 25-35mph. Why is this?

Saturday, April 23rd, 2011 AT 6:55 PM

• Caradiodoc

Felt in the seat or steering wheel? Just when accelerating, cruising at a steady speed, or when coasting?

+3
Saturday, April 23rd, 2011 AT 7:15 PM
  • Blkagrl

The shaking is felt in the rear passenger area of the vehicle. It starts shaking as I accelerate pass 25 mph & continues til I reach 35 mph. Will keep shaking while cruising btwn those speeds. After 35 mph no shaking & no shaking after decelarting below 25 mph. It feels like the vehicle is going to fall apart.

Saturday, April 23rd, 2011 AT 8:00 PM
  • Caradiodoc

I would start by having the tires inspected for a broken belt. At the speeds you listed, the shaking is likely getting worse because it is at the vehicle's natural frequency to vibrate so a little vibration gets amplified until you feel it. That's the same principle that keeps a pendulum swinging in a grandfather clock without putting in hardly any energy.

This is occurring at too low a speed to be a tire balance issue. If it is a broken tire belt, you should feel the back end wobble too at lower speeds such as when driving through a parking lot. Another thing to consider is a dragging brake due to a sticking parking brake cable that hasn't fully released. That can be harder to notice at higher speeds. Look at the two cables where they exit their outer casings right in front of the rear wheels. If you see a half inch or so that looks shiny, that cable is sticking and is not fully retracted. Often flexing the outer casing will help the cable retract.

+1
Saturday, April 23rd, 2011 AT 9:14 PM
  • Blkagrl

Thank you. I will have the mechanic take a look. Also when I put the car in reverseit makes a squeaking sound, almost like if the brakes were bad if I was n drive and trying to brake. Could this alos be another issue tied to the shaking of the vehicle?

+1
Saturday, April 23rd, 2011 AT 11:56 PM
  • Caradiodoc

A sloppy wheel bearing could be responsible for both symptoms but that should be very noticeable at lower speeds too. Generally anything that can cause shaking, other than a broken tire belt, will also cause a noise so you might have identified another clue.

+1
Sunday, April 24th, 2011 AT 4:16 AM
  • Edt2015

I had that shaking problem, and what it was
was my transmission fluid was old and needed to
be replaced. And That is all it took.
I know that sounds funny but:
think does it feel like your clutch is in the wrong gear?
If you would start out in 2nd gear instead of 1st
you would have the same problem. Mitsubishi uses
a specific type of tranny fluid, make sure you use that one only.
I don't have my owners manual handy, or I would include type,
but it is in there. Look it up.
Hope that helps you. Have a great day

Tuesday, April 21st, 2015 AT 5:54 PM
  • WontonLord

I had the exact same problem on my 2004 mitsu endeavor the car would shake really bad when driving anywhere from 25-45mph but ONLY when slightly giving it gas, if I floored it then the car would not shake after reading EDT2015 comment I took it in to the dealer and had the transmission flushed $195 driving it less than a mile after the service the problem did not persist. Thanks EDT! It's been a few days since the service and the car drives like a dream. :)

Thursday, November 3rd, 2016 AT 11:30 PM