The battery is brand new and the meter reading.

CCLEFTY61
  • 2004 MITSUBISHI ENDEAVOR

The battery is brand new and the meter reading is 12.4 volts My wife told me a few days later that the lights were dimming while she was driving I got the car started with a jump and checked the the battery again the meter read 12.4 volts I changed the alternator and now the car won't start at all. I got a jump and when the jumper cables were removed the car died. Also upon subsequent attempts the jumper cables were removed and the car ran on its own but the alternator still isn't charging the battery. I have checked every fuse and they are all good. When I turn the key I get a grinding type sound too. Thanks for the help.

Thursday, December 20th, 2012 AT 2:20 PM

12.4 isn't to good it shold be 12.7 check what i've pointed to in drawing as it may be a fusible link that has burnt up. Charge battery and have checekd as well as load test. If bad take back to wher eyou go t it.

+1
Thursday, December 20th, 2012 AT 2:47 PM

One other thing the pcm may not be turnign it on so if still not working scan for codes.

CCLEFTY61

What is a pcm?

Thursday, December 20th, 2012 AT 3:01 PM
CCLEFTY61

I have checked all fusible links and the are good. I am checking them with a ohmmeter and am getting continuity.

Thursday, December 20th, 2012 AT 3:12 PM
KHLOW2008

Is the alternator a rebuilt unit? What is the charging voltage now?
PCM is the Power Control Module, meaning the engine computer.

Thursday, December 20th, 2012 AT 3:16 PM
CCLEFTY61

Yes the alternator is rebuilt/remanufactored. When I got the engine started after changing the alternator the battery voltage was still 12.4

Thursday, December 20th, 2012 AT 3:31 PM
KHLOW2008

Either the alternator is bad or you have a broken connection between alternator and battery.

Test the voltage between the alternator main mast. If it is higher than 13v, the alternator is charging but connection between battery and alternator is open.

Thursday, December 20th, 2012 AT 3:37 PM
CCLEFTY61

How do I do the voltage test? And test the voltage between the alternator main mast and what? I also did this check I disconnected the neg. Battery cable (the engine was not running) and checked the resistance between the alternator post and the battery POS. Post and got continuity.

Thursday, December 20th, 2012 AT 4:18 PM

You probe the large wire with your vom positive an put the negative to ground while it is running. In your case it wil be teh position B on the alternator normally marked on the connector. It should read at least 13 volts if it does and it doesn't read the same voltage on teh other side of th e fusible link in the picture then the link is bad/burnt

Thursday, December 20th, 2012 AT 8:19 PM
KHLOW2008

Rebuilt alternators are known to fail upon installation.

Thursday, December 20th, 2012 AT 11:19 PM