Transmission

LUKERP77040
  • 2004 MERCURY MOUNTAINEER
  • 93 MILES

My 2004 Mecury Mountaineer O/D light flashes and the check transmission light comes on after going a few miles down the freeway. It only happens at speeds 60mph and up. I recently broke down the tranny and replaced some burned clutches as well as put in a new electric shift solenoid along with the recommended shift kit. It drives and shifts through all gears fine but this light comes on and I can't get a code from the scanner. Please help.

Monday, February 21st, 2011 AT 8:03 PM

KHLOW2008

O/D light will flash if the electronic pressure control (EPC) solenoid circuit is open, shorted to battery, ground or a fault has been detected in a monitored sensor used for transmission operation.

I could not find any information in our database as to the diagnostics of the EPC.

Is there any other engine trouble codes?

Tuesday, February 22nd, 2011 AT 2:14 PM
LUKERP77040

Thanks for the reply and help KHLow2008. This transmission has a solenoid block that has been revised twice in design. I did replace it with a new one but unsure which revision. I swapped out the three identical pressure sensors on top of the transmision to seeing any change in the symptons but still after 3 miles down the freeway O/D light flashes and message center says to check transmission. It does the same with the O/D off but however doesn't when left in 3rd gear or if not 60mph or above for three miles. Also if shut off and restarted it goes off til 3 more miles.

+1
Tuesday, February 22nd, 2011 AT 9:13 PM
KHLOW2008

Seems to be a problem with the OD gear and if no codes are available, the only way is to plug in a scan tool and monitor the running conditions and retrieve the freeze frame data for analysis when problem occurs.

I will do additional research on the problem see if I can come up with anything.

+2
Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011 AT 12:16 PM
LUKERP77040

Ok I just wanted to thank you again for the help and let you know that my problem stopped occouring. When I finally got my scan tool back from who I lent it to I didn't get a chance to monitor it because it hasn't happened since. I did read that when you replace the epc solenoid that you should submerge it in trans fluid to purge out the air. I did not do this and maybe thats what was cause the light and eventually it purged the air out itself.

+1
Thursday, February 24th, 2011 AT 8:53 PM
KHLOW2008

Glad to know the problem has been resolved.

I believe it shuld not be the presence of air but rather the EPC could be stuck and has since worked itself free.

Have a nice day.

+1
Thursday, February 24th, 2011 AT 11:37 PM