WINDSCREEN FLUID ACCIDENTALLY INTO THE RADIATOR RESERVIOR

2004 Lincoln LS

chrange

September, 26, 2011 AT 11:54 AM

Well I poured this thing into the vehicle in a dark parking lot after seeing the windscreen light on dashboard. After driving steam started coming up as well as fluid. When I opened the reservoir it looks like the fluid is down to the normal amount I was also washing the temperature gauge see no difference but still concerned

Radiator

1 ANSWER

Wrenchtech

September, 26, 2011 AT 12:18 PM

It won't hurt anything. Maybe a little suds but nothing serious.

DrCranknWrench

September, 26, 2011 AT 12:28 PM

I do not think it will hurt anything.
Windshield washer fluid has a type of methanol, ethanol or ethylene glycol. Anti-freeze is made of ethylene glycol, ha ha, so you have added anti-freeze to your anti-freeze, just with some different additives.
Some radiators are picky about having a 50/50 mix of distilled water to anti-freeze, especially in aluminum radiators, as it is corrosive to an extent. However, you probably did not put in enough to change the ratio. If you added near a gallon, you could drain some fluid and add distilled water.
I would just wait until you flush and fill anti-freeze which you should do every 30,000 or so.
Take care.

Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Radiator Fluid Flush and Fill Ford Explorer
Radiator Hoses and Thermostat Replacement