WINDSCREEN FLUID ACCIDENTALLY INTO THE RADIATOR RESERVIOR

• chrange
  • 2004 Lincoln LS

Well I poured this thing into the vehicle in a dark parking lot after seeing the windscreen light on dashboard. After driving steam started coming up as well as fluid. When I opened the reservoir it looks like the fluid is down to the normal amount I was also washing the temperature gauge see no difference but still concerned

Monday, September 26th, 2011 AT 11:54 AM

• Wrenchtech

It won't hurt anything. Maybe a little suds but nothing serious.

Monday, September 26th, 2011 AT 12:18 PM
  • DrCranknWrench

I do not think it will hurt anything.
Windshield washer fluid has a type of methanol, ethanol or ethylene glycol. Anti-freeze is made of ethylene glycol, ha ha, so you have added anti-freeze to your anti-freeze, just with some different additives.
Some radiators are picky about having a 50/50 mix of distilled water to anti-freeze, especially in aluminum radiators, as it is corrosive to an extent. However, you probably did not put in enough to change the ratio. If you added near a gallon, you could drain some fluid and add distilled water.
I would just wait until you flush and fill anti-freeze which you should do every 30,000 or so.
Take care.

Monday, September 26th, 2011 AT 12:28 PM