WHY DOES MY CAR CUT OFF AT A RED LIGHT, AND NOW WONT CRANK UP AT ALL SOMETIMES?

2004 Lincoln LS

jenniferpyle

August, 27, 2012 AT 12:59 AM

My car first cut off while at a red light, went to restart it and it hesitated for a minute then cranked over. Same thing has happened a couple other times at a stop, but now when I went to get in my car it sometimes doesn't want to crank up at all. The engine light is on but was already on before this happened.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

August, 27, 2012 AT 2:17 AM

ALTHOUGH I MAY NOT BE THE ONE TO HELP YOU HERE

SOMEBODY HERE WILL TRY.I'M SORTA A PRE-COMPUTER KINDA VEHICLE GUY (JEEP CJs)

THE OLE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS THERE TO ALERT YOU THAT THE COMPUTER HAS SENSED A PROBLEM THE ENGINE AND SOMETIMES OTHER STUFF

IT IS CAPABLE OF SENSING MAYBE HUNDREDS OF PROBLEMS!

SO LETS SAY MAYBE 2 MONTHS AGO IT SENSED YOUR GAS CAP WAS LOOSE (JUST AN EXAMPLE)

WHO'S TO SAY IT DIDN'T PICK UP ON A MAJOR ENGINE PROBLEM A WEEK AGO. THE LIGHT IS ON, RIGHT?

HERE'S WHAT YOU DOEXACTLY!

MOST POPULAR AUTO PARTS STORES WILL SCAN YOU SYSTEM. USUALLY IT'S A FREE SERVICE!

TAKE PEN AND PAPER

WRITE DOWN EXACTLY WHAT THE CODE NUMBERS ARE. DUMB EXAMPLES ARE P0442, P0167

GET 'EM ALL

THE PARTS STORE GUY MAY GIVE RECOMMENDATIONS OR HIS OPINION AS TO WHAT MAY BE WRONG (HE MAY BE RIGHT) CODES CAN BE INTERPRETED IN DIFFERENT WAYSREASON FOR WANTING THE EXACT NUMBERS. NOT WHAT "HE" THINKS COULD BE WRONG

COME BACK TO THIS POST AND POST THE CODES. SOMEONE WILL HELP YOU. EVEN IF I HAVE TO GO GET 'EM

SHOULD YOU NEED PARTS, MAYBE EXPENSIVE ONES, AND CAN POSSIBLY DO THE REPAIRS YOURSELF (OR FRIENDS) LET ME KNOW 1ST, I MAY CAN SHOW YOU HOW TO SAVE $$$ ON YOUR PURCHASES. I GET ALERTED AS TO ACTION ON THIS POST, SINCE I REPLIED, I WILL BE ABLE TO SEE HOW YOU ARE COMING ALONG

GET CODED. NOW. WHILE IT WILL DRIVE

WAITING ON YOU!

jenniferpyle

September, 4, 2012 AT 10:40 PM

Found out it is either the sensors for the catalyst converter or the catalyst converter itself. At this point car won't even start. Wondering how much this will cost to get it fixed

September, 4, 2012 AT 10:52 PM

. AND

THE EXACT CODE NUMBERS WERE?

jenniferpyle

September, 4, 2012 AT 11:08 PM

P0420 and P0430

September, 5, 2012 AT 12:26 AM

LOOK AT "CAUSES"...."POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS"

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0420

HERE'S THE OTHER

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0430

I'M JUST "RESEARCHING"......SEE, IT AIN'T JUST A "CUT AND DRY" REPLACE SOMETHING!

THOROUGHLY CHECKING THE STUFF THEY SUGGEST MIGHT KEEP YOU FROM BUYING EXPENSIVE PARTS......IF PARTS ARE "CHEAP", I'M NOT AGAINST THROWING THEM AT THE ISSUE TO MAYBE "LUCK" INTO A FIX

SEE IF YOU CAN PERFORM THE CHECKS THEY SAY---IF YOU DO GOTTA BUY PARTS, LET ME KNOW, I MAY CAN AID IN SAVING YOU SOME $$$

jenniferpyle

September, 5, 2012 AT 12:31 AM

Thanks. Ran across the same websites as I was doing my own research and found it informative. Appreciate your time : )

September, 5, 2012 AT 1:12 AM

IF YOU'D RATHER I FIND SOMEONE ELSE WHO DEALS WITH NEWER STUFF TO CONTINUE WITH YOU, I'LL PUT OUT SOME FEELERS

SEE MY TWO ANSWERS ON "September 03, 2012" 1ST ANSWER STARTS OUT "VERY GOOD".....HERE'S THE POST

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1977-jeep-cj7-front-wheel-wont-into-4-low

DO LETS US KNOW HOW YOU ARE PROGRESSING

jenniferpyle

September, 9, 2012 AT 9:49 PM

So I put my car in the shop and the mechanic replaced the crank sensor, and now it runs fine, my check engine light is off. But I'm wondering if the check engine light will come back on as it most likely will because I'm sure the other problem will need to be fixed concerning the catalytic converter. But I read somewhere that if you have a faulty crank sensor that it can sometimes give faulse diagnostic readings. Hmm, guess I'll take to back and get another diagnostic done now that that sensor has been replaced

September, 9, 2012 AT 10:41 PM

PROBABLY NOT GOING TO HAVE A CODE UNLESS THE LIGHT IS ON

GLAD YOU MADE SOME HEADWAY!

EVEN THOUGH COMPUTER CARS ARE NOT MY STRONG POINT.I'VE SEEN MANY TIMES WITH OTHERS' VEHICLES. WHEN THE 1ST CODE IS TAKEN CARE OF SOME, IF NOT ALL OF THE OTHER CODES DISAPPEAR

AS FAR AS THE CAT, A MUFFLER SHOP MIGHT BE THE PLACE TO GET IT CHECKED OUT, THEY MIGHT EVEN DO IT FOR FREE

jenniferpyle

September, 9, 2012 AT 11:03 PM

Ha. Cute commercial! Lol.