RX330 P430 ERROR CODE

2004 Lexus RX 330

Tracey Draper

Hi,

I have a 2004 RX330 that received the 90K "tune-up" just 200 miles ago. (Tune-up included Timing belt, all fluids, water pump, transmission flush, spark plugs). I picked up the car and the check engine light came on along with the VSC and TRAC light. Took the car back in and was told the O2 sensor was bad. They replaced the O2 sensor. Now - 200 miles later, the lights are back on. Took the car back into the shop and am told the catalytic converters are starting to go. They say they are slighly out of tolerance, but still drivable.

I'm having issues believing that the "tune-up" didn't cause these issues.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks - Tracey

Docfixit

Code should be P0420 and there are two CATS which one? Is Dealer doing work?Also more than one O2 sensor which one replaced?

Tracey Draper

Hi - No - I am using an independent shop. I just called him and he confirmed the code was P430.

He says the FRONT CAT is the one going and he replaced the Front Lower O2 sensor.

He also said they used a thermal monitor and there is a 50 change from front to back - does this make sense?

Docfixit

Because of expense of repair and the MIL comming on so soon after work have you considered getting another shop to diagnose light on? Without physicaly looking at car will be difficult to find solution.

Tracey Draper

You had questioned the P420 versus P430 - what does the P430 indicate?

Tracey Draper

And YES - I have defiantly thought about taking it to someone else to look at.

Docfixit

P0430 CAT on bank two efficiency below threshold
P0420 is for bank one