Here is the info on that recall it explains what will be expected and if it falls within the recall the repair will be free.
SAFETY RECALL CAMPAIGN: SEDONA EX REAR WHEEL BEARING
This bulletin provides information about damage that may occur to the rear wheel bearings of some 03-05MY Sedona vehicles produced between 6/24/03 and 10/29/04 that are equipped with alloy wheels. Water may intrude into the bearing area through the joint between the hubcap and hub and may contaminate the grease or damage the rear wheel bearing(s). All vehicles equipped with alloy wheels that fall within the production date range should be inspected for this condition and if affected, the damaged parts should be replaced following the procedures in this Technical Service Bulletin.
* NOTICE There is no charge to the vehicle owner for this repair. Under applicable law, you may not sell or otherwise deliver any affected 2003-2005MY Sedona until it has been repaired, pursuant to the procedures set forth in this bulletin.
1. Open hood and check for SC049 Campaign Completion Label on bulkhead above master cylinder.
If label exists, NO FURTHER ACTION IS REQUIRED.
If label DOES NOT EXIST, check the VIN's production date to confirm it falls within the campaign production range. After confirming the production range, continue on to Replacement Procedure, as applicable.
Note: Campaign completion must be verified on the Warranty Coverage Validation Inquiry screen, prior to performing repairs (Kia Standard System [KSS] Main Menu - Option 3).
HUBCAP REPLACEMENT PROCEDURE:
2. Raise vehicle on a hoist and remove the rear wheels.
3. Remove both hubcaps and discard. Inspect exposed hub and bearing area on left and right sides for any sign of moisture, corrosion, grease discoloration or contamination (see photo). If "yes" or if hub shows signs of binding or other bearing failure during rotation, then proceed to Hubcap & Outer Bearing Replacement Procedure, if "no" then proceed to Step 4.
4. If there is no sign of moisture, corrosion or grease discoloration, and the hub spins freely install a new hubcap after applying Loctite # 5910(TM) or equivalent, as shown, to prevent moisture from entering the hub area.
Note: Loctite # 5910(TM) or equivalent should be locally sourced.
5. Mount the wheels and torque the lug nuts to their proper specifications. (65-79 lb-ft) (88-108 Nm, 9-11 kgm)
6. Lower vehicle.
HUBCAP & OUTER BEARING REPLACEMENT PROCEDURE:
1. Remove the two (2) cross-tip locating screws on the brake drum.
2. Remove the brake drum.
3. Remove cotter pin and cover set.
4. Remove nut, claw washer, outer bearing and hub assembly.
5. Inspect inner bearing area in both hubs for any sign of moisture, corrosion, grease discoloration or contamination. If "yes" discard entire hub and replace with new assembly. If "no" proceed with outer bearing replacement below:
6. Carefully remove the outer bearing race from the hub. If the hub assembly is damaged then replace the hub assembly as a complete unit. (If inner seal is damaged while removing the outer race replace with new seal.)
7. Clean all contaminated grease from outer bearing cavity of the hub.
8. Install a new outer race into the hub using an appropriate race installation tool.
9. Apply grease MS511-33 WBG2 or equivalent to the hub assembly and the new bearing(s) especially to the shaded areas.
10. Install hub assembly, new pre-greased outer bearing and new claw washer on spindle. (Or alternatively, install entire new hub assembly, as supplied). Ensure bearings are properly seated then tighten hub/spindle nut, torque nut to 20-25 lb-ft (27-33 Nm.) Verify hub spins freely without signs of binding or excessive play.
11. Install new cover set and cotter pin; never reuse the old cotter pin.
12. Install new hub cap with Loctite # 5910(TM) or equivalent sealant to prevent moisture intrusion.
13. Install the rear brake drum using tapered locating screws.
14. Install rear wheels and torque lug nuts to proper specification. (65-79 lb-ft) (88-108 Nm, 9-11 kgm)
15. Lower vehicle.
16. Attach SC049 Campaign Completion Label on the bulkhead above master cylinder.
AFFECTED PRODUCTION RANGE:
2003-2005MY Sedona vehicles with production dates from 6/24/03 through 10/29/04.
PART NUMBER INFORMATION:
Depending on the condition of the lubricant and bearing, repairs and accompanying parts are divided into three categories:
1. Inspection and hubcap replacement only.
2. Hubcap and outer bearing replacement.
3. Hubcap and hub assembly replacement.
Saturday, March 19th, 2011 AT 5:33 PM