IM CONSIDERING PURCHASING A 2004 KIA RIO WITH ...

• neallennon
  • 2004 Kia Rio

I'm considering purchasing a 2004 kia Rio with 120K on it. I'm told by the driver, the car was driving along and died. It was towed to a shop, They charged the battery and say the alternator went out. Now the auto trans doesn't work ! What could be the problem, If the transmission was working before the alternator went out? Is this a common problem with this model? Has the computer or a sensor been damaged by running the car untill the battery ran completly out of voltage? I think the car has a lot of life left in it, but need a direction to go on this before I buy it. Got any idea's? The seller is open to me checking it over or having another shop of my choice scan it before I purchase it. Thanks Neal

Sunday, February 10th, 2013 AT 3:24 AM

• caradiodoc

"Auto trans doesn't work" can mean an awfully lot of different things. If it's computer-controlled, low system voltage is going to make it do strange things. Chrysler was the first manufacturer to develop a computer-controlled transmission, and I'm more familiar with their system. Once a problem is detected, regardless if it's due to a charging system problem or something in the transmission, it defaults to second gear and stays there so you can drive it slowly to a repair shop without needing a tow truck. That is called "limp mode". It will come out of limp mode when you turn off the ignition switch and restart the engine. In your case, I wouldn't get overly concerned with the transmission yet until the charging system is fixed. Then if a problem still exists, there may be a diagnostic fault code stored in the Transmission Computer that needs to be erased.

Sunday, February 10th, 2013 AT 3:59 AM
  • neallennon

Ok, I will replace the alternator first and see if that fixes the problem, If it still has a problem I will scan it to see if there is a code, ansd do what it takes to fix it. I'll let you know how it turns out. Neal

Sunday, February 10th, 2013 AT 11:21 PM
  • caradiodoc

Check for fault codes first. When you disconnect the battery to replace the generator, any stored codes will be erased and that valuable information will be lost.

Monday, February 11th, 2013 AT 9:54 AM
  • neallennon

Ok, I will scan for Codes first thing this morning, Thank you for that important information, I'll keep you posted. Neal

Monday, February 11th, 2013 AT 4:59 PM