2004 KIA OPTIMA WONT COMPLETE EMISSIONS ...

2004 Kia Optima

doug2060

November, 13, 2012 AT 4:12 PM

2004 Kia Optima won't complete emissions readiness to pass NC inspection.
2004 Kia Optima 2.7 V6 Automatic 103,700 miles I just bought a 2004 Kia Optima. I haven't taken it to get inspected because when I scanned it, it shows no codes but there are 2 emissions tests that are not showing ready. The first is the Evap purge test and the second is the o2 sensor heater test. I have driven the car over 160 miles and these 2 will not complete and no trouble codes will set. I have used the following procedure several times: NOTE: The ignition key must not be on prior to the cold start otherwise the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run. 1. As soon as the engine starts, idle the engine in drive for two and a half minutes with the A/C and rear defrost on. OBDII checks oxygen sensor heatercircuits, air pump and EVAP purge. 2. Turn the A/C and rear defrost off, and accelerate to 55 mph at half throttle. OBDII checks for ignition misfire, fuel trim and canister purge. 3. Hold at a steady state speed of 55 mph for three minutes. OBDII monitors EGR, air pump, O2 sensors and canister purge. 4. Decelerate (coast down) to 20 mph without braking or depressing the clutch. OBDII checks EGR and purge functions. 5. Accelerate back to 55 to 60 mph at half throttle. OBDII checks misfire, fueltrim and purge again. 6. Hold at a steady speed of 55 to 60 mph for five minutes. OBDII monitors catalytic converter efficiency, misfire, EGR, fuel trim, oxygen sensors and purge functions. 7. Decelerate (coast down) to a stop without braking. OBDII makes a final check of EGR and canister purge. According to the original owner the battery was replaced less than a month before I bought the car. They had not driven the car much since that time. The car is recently off warranty and had lots of maintenance performed including new battery, new tires, new spark plugs & wires, oil change, all filters, trans flush, coolant flush, all belts and water pump. All work was performed at the dealership. The car had around 80 miles on it since all this was done. The car runs great and seems to be fully functional. I just can't get it inspected. Any help or advice is much appreciated.

saturntech9

November, 13, 2012 AT 5:01 PM

When they changed the battery thats when the monitors reset the evap one can be tough to set on any car usually the computer O2 sensor isnt too to set. Let me see what I can find on making them set.

doug2060

November, 13, 2012 AT 5:45 PM

OK, Thanks

doug2060

November, 14, 2012 AT 2:38 AM

Can the 2 be related? I don't see how but I don't know for sure. Are all the o2 sensors tested during the readiness test?

saturntech9

November, 14, 2012 AT 5:18 PM

Yes when the parameters are met the o2 sensors monitor will set and there separate from the evap monitor. The evap on is the hardest one to set usually I have found.

doug2060

November, 14, 2012 AT 6:13 PM

Do all 7 monitors have to be ready to pass inspection in NC?

doug2060

November, 14, 2012 AT 7:34 PM

I think I may have found a POSSIBLE connection. Maybe. I tried using the cruise control today. It will set and seem to work properly for a few moments the suddenly start having trouble maintaining speed and cut off on it's own. I also noticed (only once) before that the speedometer needle jumped slightly at random. I'm thinking it may be possible that the speed sensor on the transmission may be dirty or defective causing this. I may also be resulting in issues preventing the evap test to run. Can anyone tell me if I'm wrong? I'm not so worried about the cruise control but I really need to get this car inspected. Am I wrong in thinking that erratic senor readings could be related?

saturntech9

November, 14, 2012 AT 10:10 PM

I dont see the the cruise speed sensor connection with the evap monitor that would be set at start up I would try starting the cold and letting it idle for like 5 mins before putting it in gear etc. Try that a few times dont rev the engine just let it idle lets see if that will set the evap monitor.I know in California I think you can one or two monitors not set and still pass smog not sure about your state.

doug2060

November, 14, 2012 AT 11:12 PM

I have tried that several times but willing to try again. I'll let it sit overnight and see what happens. I will take it out tomorrow and see what happens. Without disconnecting the battery I disconnected the o2 sensors to clean the contacts and a few others but didn't have time to drive it. I'll see how it goes tomorrow and report back.

doug2060

November, 15, 2012 AT 6:09 PM

Started the car up cold this morning and let it sit for about 8 minutes. Drove it about 60 miles with no results.

doug2060

November, 16, 2012 AT 8:29 PM

Resolved

Oxygen Sensor Replacement Honda Civic 1996-20
Oxygen Sensor Replacement Dodge Stratus
Fail Your Smog Test? Fix it Fast