2004 Kia Optima won't complete emissions.

DOUG2060
  • 2004 KIA OPTIMA

2004 Kia Optima won't complete emissions readiness to pass NC inspection.
2004 Kia Optima 2.7 V6 Automatic 103,700 miles I just bought a 2004 Kia Optima. I haven't taken it to get inspected because when I scanned it, it shows no codes but there are 2 emissions tests that are not showing ready. The first is the Evap purge test and the second is the o2 sensor heater test. I have driven the car over 160 miles and these 2 will not complete and no trouble codes will set. I have used the following procedure several times: NOTE: The ignition key must not be on prior to the cold start otherwise the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run. 1. As soon as the engine starts, idle the engine in drive for two and a half minutes with the A/C and rear defrost on. OBDII checks oxygen sensor heatercircuits, air pump and EVAP purge. 2. Turn the A/C and rear defrost off, and accelerate to 55 mph at half throttle. OBDII checks for ignition misfire, fuel trim and canister purge. 3. Hold at a steady state speed of 55 mph for three minutes. OBDII monitors EGR, air pump, O2 sensors and canister purge. 4. Decelerate (coast down) to 20 mph without braking or depressing the clutch. OBDII checks EGR and purge functions. 5. Accelerate back to 55 to 60 mph at half throttle. OBDII checks misfire, fueltrim and purge again. 6. Hold at a steady speed of 55 to 60 mph for five minutes. OBDII monitors catalytic converter efficiency, misfire, EGR, fuel trim, oxygen sensors and purge functions. 7. Decelerate (coast down) to a stop without braking. OBDII makes a final check of EGR and canister purge. According to the original owner the battery was replaced less than a month before I bought the car. They had not driven the car much since that time. The car is recently off warranty and had lots of maintenance performed including new battery, new tires, new spark plugs & wires, oil change, all filters, trans flush, coolant flush, all belts and water pump. All work was performed at the dealership. The car had around 80 miles on it since all this was done. The car runs great and seems to be fully functional. I just can't get it inspected. Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Tuesday, November 13th, 2012 AT 4:12 PM

SATURNTECH9

When they changed the battery thats when the monitors reset the evap one can be tough to set on any car usually the computer O2 sensor isnt too to set. Let me see what I can find on making them set.

-2
Tuesday, November 13th, 2012 AT 5:01 PM
DOUG2060

OK, Thanks

-1
Tuesday, November 13th, 2012 AT 5:45 PM
DOUG2060

Can the 2 be related? I don't see how but I don't know for sure. Are all the o2 sensors tested during the readiness test?

+1
Wednesday, November 14th, 2012 AT 2:38 AM
SATURNTECH9

Yes when the parameters are met the o2 sensors monitor will set and there separate from the evap monitor. The evap on is the hardest one to set usually I have found.

+1
Wednesday, November 14th, 2012 AT 5:18 PM
DOUG2060

Do all 7 monitors have to be ready to pass inspection in NC?

Wednesday, November 14th, 2012 AT 6:13 PM
DOUG2060

I think I may have found a POSSIBLE connection. Maybe. I tried using the cruise control today. It will set and seem to work properly for a few moments the suddenly start having trouble maintaining speed and cut off on it's own. I also noticed (only once) before that the speedometer needle jumped slightly at random. I'm thinking it may be possible that the speed sensor on the transmission may be dirty or defective causing this. I may also be resulting in issues preventing the evap test to run. Can anyone tell me if I'm wrong? I'm not so worried about the cruise control but I really need to get this car inspected. Am I wrong in thinking that erratic senor readings could be related?

Wednesday, November 14th, 2012 AT 7:34 PM
SATURNTECH9

I dont see the the cruise speed sensor connection with the evap monitor that would be set at start up I would try starting the cold and letting it idle for like 5 mins before putting it in gear etc. Try that a few times dont rev the engine just let it idle lets see if that will set the evap monitor.I know in California I think you can one or two monitors not set and still pass smog not sure about your state.

Wednesday, November 14th, 2012 AT 10:10 PM
DOUG2060

I have tried that several times but willing to try again. I'll let it sit overnight and see what happens. I will take it out tomorrow and see what happens. Without disconnecting the battery I disconnected the o2 sensors to clean the contacts and a few others but didn't have time to drive it. I'll see how it goes tomorrow and report back.

Wednesday, November 14th, 2012 AT 11:12 PM
DOUG2060

Started the car up cold this morning and let it sit for about 8 minutes. Drove it about 60 miles with no results.

-1
Thursday, November 15th, 2012 AT 6:09 PM
DOUG2060

Resolved

-1
Friday, November 16th, 2012 AT 8:29 PM
SATURNTECH9

Glad to glad to hear did it just takes some more driving?

Friday, November 16th, 2012 AT 11:05 PM
DOUG2060

I found a drive cycle for a 2002 Kia Spectra someone had posted somewhere. In it they mentioned that when you reset the computer you have to drive the car a minimum of 20 minutes. The part that got me was that if the evap purge test doesn't complete within this 20 minutes it won't test it again. I reset it and tried the drive cycle as close as I could and the evap set at exactly 20 minutes into driving. I drove another 10 minutes and the others completed. I got it inspected and passed. The o2 sensor heater monitor still shows not ready but according to the inspection shop they don't test it anyway. He said that as long as the o2 sensor test passed it has to be working and will most likely eventually set.

+2
Friday, November 16th, 2012 AT 11:57 PM
SATURNTECH9

The evap monitor can be a tough one to set I have alot of trouble getting them to set myself on cars and trucks.

+1
Please consider a donation if we helped you
Saturday, November 17th, 2012 AT 2:37 AM
BIGMIKEYORDY

Gonna try and see if this helps my car. I don't know what else to do. The auto store person is stumped too I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you guys for the help.

Thursday, June 23rd, 2016 AT 2:03 PM

Recommended articles