WHAT CAUSES A OPIMALX TO DIE AFTER APOX. 10 MILES.?

2004 Kia Optima

sikimages

July, 31, 2012 AT 5:15 PM

I have a 2004 kia optima lx with the 2.4. It will run about ten miles then die and wont start back. Once I let it sit for about 30 min it will start and go a short distance. I have replaced the computer, coil packs, cam sensor, idle sensor, fuel pump, actually to many parts to list. The problem continues without the check engine light coming on. The local mechanics have given up on it.I have already spent a small fortune trying to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Docfixit

July, 31, 2012 AT 5:29 PM

Has G15 ground under drivers seat been checked? Vehicle ever had water damage?

sikimages

July, 31, 2012 AT 6:40 PM

I have checked all wiring under the drivers seat. I was unable to find a ground. Is it bolted to the chassis? The car has never had water damage. It has been hit on the passanger side front and was rebuilt prior to us buying it. Any further info or ideas would be appreciated

Docfixit

July, 31, 2012 AT 6:48 PM

When it stops pull plug wire check for spark

sikimages

August, 2, 2012 AT 4:47 PM

When it stops I still have spark and I can hear the fuel pump running when I try to start it. If it does manage to start it dies immediately. Could it possibly b a bad gas cap? The check engine light came back on with misfire on cyl. 2&3 cam sensor and tps.I noticed when I was driving and I set the cruise the engine would rev and cruise would stop working. Could this possibly have anything to do with my current problem? Any further help would be greatly appreciated

Docfixit

August, 2, 2012 AT 7:41 PM

What are codes in P0xxx format

sikimages

August, 2, 2012 AT 7:59 PM

I dnt know the code numbers. The previous post told the description of the codes. No matter what we do we have the same results although all those parts have been replaced. I dnt understand why we can drive it up to 15 miles before check engine light comes on and it dies and wont restart for aprox 30 min

Docfixit

August, 2, 2012 AT 8:03 PM

Codes will help me diagnose also has fuel pressure been checked?

sikimages

August, 2, 2012 AT 8:11 PM

No the fuel pressure hasnt been checked. What would cause it to have adequate fuel pressure for 15 miles then stop then wait 30 min and have fuel pressure again? I will contact the mechanic that checked it and get the codes. One of them was a 340. He is bringing me the printout of the aditional codes, I will send them as soon as I get them

Docfixit

August, 2, 2012 AT 8:25 PM

Well fuel pumps do fail when overheated due to worn bearings and stop let cool will run for awhile then stop

sikimages

August, 2, 2012 AT 10:59 PM

I just replaced the fuel pump along with the other parts I listed. The codes that it keeps giving after replacing all these parts and clearing the codes are: p0340, p0303, p0302, p0300