EXTRA PLAY IN STEERING

• rayzorr22
  • 2004 Kia Amanti

Over a year ago I had the engine replaced. While the car was broken down it had to be moved without power. After the car had power steering again there was a small amount of "play" in the steering. The mechanic who did the engine job said it was the u-coupling at the base of the steering column just below the floor. I've found the replacement part online and the column diagram and wondering how hard it is to replace. I have decent mechanic skills and the diagram makes it look easy. But that doesn't mean it is. Thanks

Monday, July 23rd, 2012 AT 12:48 AM

• ASEMaster6371

Moving it without power does not wear out that shaft. It had play prior to the repair.

Is there a question here that we can help with?

Monday, July 23rd, 2012 AT 1:03 AM
  • rayzorr22

There was no play prior to the engine replacement. I assumed the u-coupling (small u-joint) was damaged moving the car and turning the steering wheel with no power steering. My question really is how difficult is replacing the u-coupling?

Monday, July 23rd, 2012 AT 1:40 AM
  • ASEMaster6371

It releases under the dash and there is a boot you need to remove to acess the bottom portion of the shaft as well. You must install it in the exact way you remove it. Mark the shaft for reference.

Monday, July 23rd, 2012 AT 1:44 AM
  • rayzorr22

Awesome. Thank you very much.

Monday, July 23rd, 2012 AT 1:49 AM