2004 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE FRONT END NOISE

• miller2213
  • 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Ive got a grinding/clanking noise when driving in 2wd. Noise not there when in 4wd. Has gotten much worse in the past few days and now it is humming while driving. No matter what the speed the grinding noise is still there. Even if I throw it in neutral and just coast its still there. Once again all these noises happen when im in 2wd not 4wd. Ive checked the brakes and rotors and things of that nature but im no mechanic. Im at a loss and would much appreciate some advise. Have any ideas? Thanks.

Friday, June 14th, 2013 AT 1:18 PM

• seangrant00
  • 339 posts

Sounds like a differential problem, also could be a couple other things. Is your check engine light on?

Thursday, June 27th, 2013 AT 8:46 PM
  • miller2213

Yes check engine light is on but it has been on long before this problem started to occur.

Friday, July 5th, 2013 AT 1:05 PM
  • seangrant00
  • 339 posts

I would still get the code scanned. Most auto parts stores will do it for free. There may be multiple codes on the computer, and this is the first step I would do.

Sean

Monday, July 8th, 2013 AT 12:13 PM