CAN YOU CLEAN A CLOGGED CATALYTIC CONVERTER?

• jmedley36
  • 2004 Hyundai XG350

Supposedly the cat. Converter was replaced a few weeks ago, now car is running poorly again and mechanic said the rear converter is clogged, shop that replaced it said they thought they replaced both of them. We are supposed to go out of town in 2 days and can't get it fixed before then. Is there any way to clean it out so that we can still go out of town?

Thursday, June 28th, 2012 AT 2:30 PM

• rasmataz

If I were you have it replaced immediately before you depart-you don't want to be stranded somewhere and regret it-

-1
Thursday, June 28th, 2012 AT 2:38 PM
  • saturntech9

Unless the front cat came apart and the chunks cloggged the inlet of the rear cat and you can shake the piece out or blow them out with air. If its just clogged in general your out of luck and have to replace the cat.

Thursday, June 28th, 2012 AT 2:41 PM
  • jmedley36

I can't get it replaced before we are supposed to leave, it'll be 2 or 3 days after we are to leave before they can fix it, that's why I was asking. Guess we'll find alternate transportation.

-1
Thursday, June 28th, 2012 AT 2:46 PM
  • saturntech9

Sounds like your best bet I wouldnt drive it like that untill you fix it.

-1
Thursday, June 28th, 2012 AT 7:32 PM
  • KHLow2008

If the engine is running badly, it can kill the catalytic converter even if it is new.

-1
Thursday, June 28th, 2012 AT 8:04 PM