CAN YOU CLEAN A CLOGGED CATALYTIC CONVERTER?

2004 Hyundai XG350

jmedley36

June, 28, 2012 AT 2:30 PM

Supposedly the cat. Converter was replaced a few weeks ago, now car is running poorly again and mechanic said the rear converter is clogged, shop that replaced it said they thought they replaced both of them. We are supposed to go out of town in 2 days and can't get it fixed before then. Is there any way to clean it out so that we can still go out of town?

June, 28, 2012 AT 2:38 PM

If I were you have it replaced immediately before you depart-you don't want to be stranded somewhere and regret it-

saturntech9

June, 28, 2012 AT 2:41 PM

Unless the front cat came apart and the chunks cloggged the inlet of the rear cat and you can shake the piece out or blow them out with air. If its just clogged in general your out of luck and have to replace the cat.

jmedley36

June, 28, 2012 AT 2:46 PM

I can't get it replaced before we are supposed to leave, it'll be 2 or 3 days after we are to leave before they can fix it, that's why I was asking. Guess we'll find alternate transportation.

saturntech9

June, 28, 2012 AT 7:32 PM

Sounds like your best bet I wouldnt drive it like that untill you fix it.

June, 28, 2012 AT 8:04 PM

If the engine is running badly, it can kill the catalytic converter even if it is new.

Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen