WHAT CAUSED ENGINE TO SKIP TIME AND BEND VALVES?

2004 Hyundai Sonata

tstrack

April, 15, 2011 AT 6:34 PM

2004 Hyundai Sonata 2.7 L V6 what caused engine to skip time and bend valves?

I was driving down the Interstate when my engine quit and made a loud noise which sounded like a belt coming off in pieces. I didn't see any belts missing or off. There was a good amount of oil in as well. Car would not start and was told that it needs a new engine (locked up engine). Also was told that the timing belt that was put on a Tire Kingdom 3 months earlier would not cause this engine to lock up.

Engine Miss

Docfixit

April, 15, 2011 AT 6:39 PM

Suspect Timing belt broke and pistons hit valves

tstrack

April, 15, 2011 AT 6:43 PM

But to break after only 3 months? Could it have been installed incorrectly or possibly a cheap belt?

saturntech9

April, 15, 2011 AT 6:43 PM

So did the timing belt fail?If it did then the timing belt tenisor failed or the timing belt itself failed or one of the cams locked up or the crank shaft locked up causing the belt to break. Sounds funny that the belt was just done 3 months earlier then failed. But without more details I can't tell you for sure.

tstrack

April, 15, 2011 AT 6:49 PM

Not sure if the belt actually broke. The shop was going to charge me 3 hours labor (@ $80 per) to find out. I chose to sell the car to the salvage yard for $700. The salvage yard tested the car to see what was good and told me that that it skipped time and bent the valves. I really want to know what happened for sure in case I can get possible compensation from the shop that did the work. I had the timing belt replaced once before that at the dealership. This time was not planned due to a leaking water pump and they said water got on the timing belt and that I should replace that too.

saturntech9

April, 15, 2011 AT 6:54 PM

Well without having the car checked out and having proof it was found that the belt jumped time it's hard to have a case against the place that did the belt.