THERE'S A RATTLING NOISE COMING FROM THE FRONT OF MY ENGINE, WHAT COULD BE THE CAUSE?

• JFMathes
  • 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe

Today I noticed that my car was making a rattling noise. I got out of my car while it was running to determine the source of the noise. It's coming from the front of the engine. When I rev up the engine the noise gets louder.

Monday, December 12th, 2011 AT 10:44 PM

• hmac300

Disconnect the serpentine belt to see if it stops, it may be teh pulley on teh tensioner, the tensioner or it cold be a timing chain/belt

Tuesday, December 13th, 2011 AT 12:08 AM
  • JFMathes

The serpentine belt was replaced about a month ago. How do I disconnect the serpentine belt and how can you tell the different between it being the tensioner or the pulley?

Tuesday, December 13th, 2011 AT 12:39 AM
  • hmac300

That you will have to test by hand feel for rough spots on pulley and tensioner if it stops making the noise then it's probably the tensionner if not the alterhator or something else.

Tuesday, December 13th, 2011 AT 12:42 AM