No power to fuel pump

VRBROOKS
  • 2004 HYUNDAI SANTA FE
On 2004 santa fe, 4yl, auto, I am not getting power to fuel pump. Checked all fuses, relays, I think the computer is not grounding fuel pump relay based on a similar problem answered by razmataz

" Replied on April 27, 2009
Could be the computer not grounding the fuel pump relay
Do a continiuty test on the orange and gray wire at the fuel pump relay connector to pin 20 at the computer
Answered by rasmataz"
Continuity good, if the computer is not grounding the relay, does that mean the computer is bad? The fuel pump relay is good, it does not close when key is turned on, if I run a jumper from orange and gray wire to ground, turn key on relay closes pump turns on, still wont start.
Also am not getting spark at plugs, could that be caused by the fuel pump problem? Another response to that was-
"Replied on April 28, 2009
Check and test the engine control relay and ignition failure sensor-
Answered by rasmataz"
How do I test those?
Sunday, August 11th, 2013 AT 11:02 AM

KHLOW2008
Start by checking for battery voltage to the relays and testing the relays for input and output voltages.
+4
Sunday, August 11th, 2013 AT 5:46 PM
VRBROOKS
Yes there is battery voltage at relays on the power circuit side, When I turn on the key I get voltage to the control circuit side of the relay, however the relay does not close to complete the power circuit, if I ground the other side of the control circuit ( did this by accident trying to check with test light) the relay closes the circuit and the fuel pump comes on.
I know the relay is good I tested it and have swapped it out with other relays to be 110% sure.
I put a jumper wire across the power circuit of the fuel pump relay and pump does come on. Also when key is turned on all ECU fuses get power to them.

P.S.
I have been looking for the wiring diagram you put in your reply for days.

Thank you your reply, any assistance I can get is greatly appreciated.
Sunday, August 11th, 2013 AT 6:55 PM
KHLOW2008
The diagram don't seem to work when I click to enlarge. Are you getting the same problem?

The fuel pump relay is grounded by the ECU, terminal #20, Grey/Orange wire. If you ground this terminal with a test light and fuel pump works, the problem is most likely a bad ECU.
+1
Monday, August 12th, 2013 AT 3:17 AM
VRBROOKS
Yea that's kinda what I thought, I did not ground it at the ECU it was at the fuel pump relay but that should be the same thing, it was just on the other end of the orange gray wire. Did continuity test to be sure I was in the right place.
Now can a used computer be out in or do I have to go to Hyundai ($1500) to get to get a new one, can I put it in myself?

Thank you again for your help
and yes the image does enlarge when clicked.
Monday, August 12th, 2013 AT 3:05 PM
KHLOW2008
If grounding by the ECU does not produce the same result, that would mean a break in wiring circuit between the ECU and relay

Presently I am away from my main computer and database and is using a lap top that does not allow me to access the required information so I am not sure if you can just plug in the computer. I am not sure how soon I would be back home so no promises yet.

Most likely you would need to have it programmed whether new or used.
Tuesday, August 13th, 2013 AT 12:34 AM
VRBROOKS
Thank you for your help,
Believe it or not I actually talked to a Hyundai dealer service on the phone and he said a bad crankshaft Pos. Sensor could cause problem, bought code reader and crank sensor came up, so I am going to replace it and cross fingers. $87 is alot better than $1500,
let you know how it goes

thanks again for you help
Tuesday, August 13th, 2013 AT 3:50 PM
KHLOW2008
It is possible the CKP can cause non starting but at initial key on, it should not affect the priming. Anyway good luck.
Wednesday, August 14th, 2013 AT 1:25 AM
VRBROOKS
Yea Crank sensor didn't fix, Needed timing belt though, I guess its back to ECU, new or used question again, or maybe just a bonfire!
Also, where can I get all 4 pages of that wiring diagram, it's kinda hard to read here
Sunday, August 18th, 2013 AT 7:54 AM
KHLOW2008
Print them out.
-1
Sunday, August 18th, 2013 AT 8:11 AM
STEVES03SANTEFE
  • 2003 HYUNDAI SANTA FE
Was driving home, car just stopped running, seemed like it wasn't getting fuel, replaced the fuel pump, check relay, car will not turn over. Took it to the shop, they said the cat is clogged thats why its not starting. I know a clogged cat will bog the engine down, but never heard of it not allowing it to turn over. So I took it home and found no power to the fuel pump?
Friday, October 26th, 2018 AT 1:33 PM (Merged)

It sounds like you have a fuel pump relay that is not working here is a guide to help you test it with the location of the relay as well.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what happens. Cheers,
KATHRADAR
Have the same problem with 2001 Santa Fe. Was running great, then wouldn't start next AM. Checked relay, fuse, power at connector on pump, reset fuel cut off switch. I replaced the fuel pump and still won't start so I changed the fuel pump relay out all fixed! I love this site.
+1
Good to hear, please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help.
+1
KATHRADAR
  • 2001 HYUNDAI SANTA FE
  • 105 MILES
2001 Hyundai Santa Fe 105K, no issues till now. Drove car, shut off, next AM wouldn't start. Cranks fine, new battery & starter, No bad belts, Checked fuel relay, fuel pump fuse, voltage at fuel pump harness all ok. Fuel pump wasn't running. Replaced this, reset fuel pump reset button. New pump pumps fine, but no gas to engine. Are there any other sensors, relays that could cause fuel not to get to engine? Sorry, but I'm a 62 yr lady who doesn't want to mess with cars anymore, but w/o a job have no choice. Would appreciate any help you offer. Thank you.
Have the injectors checked if its pulsing providing fuel into the cylinders
CSPTFL
  • 2001 HYUNDAI SANTA FE
I started my SUV drive for 10 mints it died waited 8 hours and it started back up died again got it towed to my house I reset the cut off switch replaced the crank sensor cam sensor ignition coils all new fuses under the hood still no power to relay or pump but if I tap check pump to hot wire or battier you hear the pump and fuel injectors spraying. But not when I turn the key still no power to pump or relay? Please help!
KEN
Hey Csptfl,

It sounds like the engine control relay has gone out which is a common problem, here is a diagram to test/replace

Please let me know how it goes,

Best, Ken
CSPTFL
That doesnt help me find it cN u explan where the compture control relay is please?
KEN
Opps, sorry about that, should have said it is located in the left front engine compartment PDC (fuse box), on the backside of the lid it will say which one is the engine control relay, let me know how it goes.

Best, Ken
WWOOSLEY
  • 2004 HYUNDAI SANTA FE
Replaced fuel pump and still not getting fuel to pump
Friday, October 26th, 2018 AT 1:35 PM (Merged)