04 Santa Fe keeps fouling #1 plug. Stumbles and lopes on accelaration

LOKIS_ALIVE
  • 2004 HYUNDAI SANTA FE

Recently I had the timing belt replaced on my 04 santa fe. A couple weeks after getting it back it started loping on accelaration. Upon pulling the plugs I discovered they were in bad need of replacing, having around 20000 miles on htem. After taking the car for a test drive I had the same problems. Stumbling and loping for a good 2-6 seconds before finally getting the power. Pulling the plugs back out #1 was covered with black soot. The check engine light IS on.
4 cylinder manual
also the last couple days I have noticed a egg like smell

Tuesday, January 17th, 2012 AT 2:18 AM

PROTECH1980
  • 926 POSTS

The car will have to be scanned for diagnostic trouble codes, that will be your starting point for diagnoses.

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Tuesday, January 17th, 2012 AT 2:30 AM
LOKIS_ALIVE

Thanx for the reply. I should have said this earlier. About a week after the belt was replaced, the check engine light came on. I told my wife to take it back to the shop which had done the timing belt replacment. The next day she did. Unfortunatly I didnt go with her. The mechanic sends home a paper saying that all the work they did to the belt was fine, and his machine said I was misfiring on the number 1 piston, which is what led me to pull the plugs, and how I discovered the ugly original ones.
Unfortunatly I dont have specififc codes, will try to track those down

Tuesday, January 17th, 2012 AT 5:16 AM