Loud knocking sound

DONNAAB
  • 2004 HYUNDAI ELANTRA
  • 150 MILES

04 Hyundai elantra my son believes the rod bearings & journels? Need replaced and has been told that this cannot be done at home. Used motors seem to be 600 to 1000. Most being 700 to 800 Would it be more cost effective to have a shop repair my motor or just by a used one?

Saturday, November 5th, 2011 AT 11:42 PM

BILLYMAC

Hi I would have to say the cheapest route will be used motor. See here is the problem if the rod bearings are bad then also the crankshaft is bad and most likely a rod or piston as welll. Unfortuneately none of this is known until you have spent the labor to take it apart. So used will be cheaper

Sunday, November 6th, 2011 AT 12:17 AM
DONNAAB

Thank you

Sunday, November 6th, 2011 AT 12:22 AM
KHLOW2008

Replacing the bearings can be done at home but rebuilding the engine would be another matter.

Wrong diagnosis can be a waste of money so get an expert opinion to confirm it is the bearings that are noisy, or it could be from the valve trains etc.

Sunday, November 6th, 2011 AT 3:44 AM