HOW BAD OFF IS IT?

2004 Honda Pilot

r_sargent

November, 1, 2011 AT 4:28 AM

I was doing a strut replacement, and somehow knocked the axle loose under the inner boot and can't seem to get it pushed back in. Any suggestions? I have rotated it so that each of the 3 little rollers inside have been aligned in every possible way, as far as I can tell. Am I just not putting enough behind it, or is there some special tool I'm missing?

fixitmr

November, 1, 2011 AT 4:43 AM

If you knocked it out you may need to knock it back in? Did you take boot loose to look things over?

r_sargent

November, 1, 2011 AT 5:04 AM

Yeah, I popped the boot open to see that the "knuckles" only go about halfway in. I'm just not sure if there is an inner spring that forces those "knuckles" outward, and need a significant wallop to force them in, or a good shove, or if they should just simply slide in (which I don't believe is the case). My main concern would be causing damage further up the axle.

fixitmr

November, 2, 2011 AT 6:17 AM

You may have to remove axle completely so you can figure it out?

r_sargent

November, 27, 2011 AT 3:41 PM

Turns out, one of the trunnion bearings slipped. I was able to leave it in the car, and after 3 weeks of driving, she's just fine. Thanks for the help.

Shock Replacement - Front Chevrolet Silverado
Air Shock Replacement Mercedes Benz S Class
Replace Tie Rod End
Sway Bar Link Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Leaf-Spring Squeak Repair - All Cars