Code P1077

NSANCHUN
  • 2004 HONDA CRV
How to repair code p1077?
Friday, August 12th, 2011 AT 3:22 AM

KHLOW2008
DTC P1077: IMRC System malfunction (low rpm).

Special Tools Required

Vacuum pump/gauge, 0-3 in. Hg A973X-041-XXXXX

1. Reset the ECM/PCM.

2. Start the engine, and hold it at 3,000 RPM with no load (in park or neutral) until the radiator fan comes on. Is DTC P1077 indicated?

YES - Go to step 3.

NO - Intermittent failure, system is okay at this time. Check for poor
connections or loose terminals at the intake manifold runner control
(IMRC) solenoid valve and at the ECM/PCM.

3. Disconnect the vacuum hose (A) from the intake manifold runner control (IMRC) actuator (B), and connect a vacuum pump to the hose.

Is there vacuum with the engine at idle?

YES - Go to step 11.

NO - Go to step 4.

4. Check the vacuum hose between the IMRC actuator and IMRC solenoid valve.
Is the vacuum hose okay?

YES - Go to step 5.

NO - Repair the blockage or vacuum leak between the IMRC actuator and
IMRC solenoid valve.

5. Disconnect the lower vacuum hose (A) from the IMRC solenoid valve (B), and connect a vacuum pump to the hose.

Is there vacuum?

YES - Go to step 6.

NO - Repair the blockage or vacuum leak between the intake manifold and IMRC solenoid valve.

6. Reconnect the lower vacuum hose to the IMRC solenoid valve, and connect a vacuum pump to the vacuum hose (A).

7. Disconnect the IMRC solenoid valve 2P connector.
Is there vacuum?

YES - Go to step 8.

NO - Replace the IMRC solenoid valve.

8. Turn the ignition switch off.

9. Disconnect ECM/PCM connector B (24P).

10. Check for continuity between IMRC solenoid valve 2P connector terminal number two and body ground.

Is there continuity?

YES - Repair short in the wire between the ECM/PCM (B22) and the
IMRC solenoid valve.

NO - Update the ECM/PCM if it does not have the latest software, or
substitute a known-good ECM/PCM, then recheck. If the symptom/indication goes away with a known-good ECM/PCM, replace the
original ECM/PCM.

11. Turn the ignition switch OFF.

12. Connect a vacuum pump to the IMRC actuator (A), then apply vacuum.

Does the IMRC actuator hold vacuum?

YES - Go to step 13.

NO - Replace the IMRC valve assembly.

13. Disconnect the IMRC valve position sensor 3P connector.

14. At the sensor side, measure resistance between IMRC valve position sensor 3P connector terminals number two and number three.

Is there about 9.5 kohm at room temperature?

YES - Update the ECM/PCM if it does not have the latest software, or
original ECM/PCM.

NO - Replace the IMRC valve assembly.
+23
Friday, August 12th, 2011 AT 4:12 PM
MICAH PETER VAUGHAN
I have a dtc p0117 on my 2006 Honda CRV 2.4l. I beleive during a starter replacement the wires were stretched. I have read all the forums and replaced both the rotary valve assembly and the solenoid as well. The code keeps coming back. Could you please describe in better detail how to test the valve position sensor and the solenoid? I cannot find on the web which ecm pins I should be looking at. If I knew which pins in the computer to test then I would know what to look for. Please help me verify my electrical connections to the IMRC system.
+2
Saturday, January 27th, 2018 AT 4:58 PM
KHLOW2008
P0117 is not the one stated above. This is a fault code for the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor. Please reconfirm the code.
+2
Tuesday, January 30th, 2018 AT 7:00 AM
MICHAEL OWENS
I am sure he miss-typed Should read P1077. I am going through the same thing except I already replaced the starter motor, then the knock sensor, then the PCV Valve. Changed vacuum line from PCV valve to manifold as original had an indentation. Cleaned the complete IMRC assembly and checked internally for any debris or sludge. Changed the TPS Sensor. New air filter oil change. But my 2005 Honda CRV still idles rough, and asides from a ticking sound I am struggling to contain the problem.

Now I am at the point since finding your instructions to follow the steps you provided. Thank you. I will let you know how I do. I appreciate the images and easy to follow step by step. :-)
Sunday, May 13th, 2018 AT 12:19 PM
KEN
You could have low compression in one cylinder causing the rough idle and the engine noise brothers me as well. It could have a flat camshaft which will do the same. Here is a guide to help you find the problem:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-vibration-at-idle

Please run down this guide and report back.

Cheers, Ken
Thursday, May 17th, 2018 AT 10:33 AM
JASMINE SAURIOL
What is the IMRC solenoid valve's lower vacuum tube connected to?
Thursday, May 24th, 2018 AT 1:59 PM
MICHAEL OWENS
Update: I found the rough idle due to engine mount passenger side gone. About $200.00 from Napa I am sure there are cheaper places. This fixed the rough idle. Here is a YouTube link if it happens to anyone: https://youtu.be/A9M-cgU89N8

I still get the P1077 and P1077pd error codes. Engine light on. I have ordered a Dorman IMRC "solenoid" and will switch that out. If this fails to remedy I may have to go through checking the air pressure as I have already replace a number pieces of the puzzle (PCV valve, hose, NOC sensor, IMRC 3 TPS sensor, and recently ordered the solenoid)

Mr Low mentions updating the ECM I will have to look into this once I have the solenoid replace.

But since the engine mount despite the engine light. Idle is smooth and car runs well. I will update once I get the solenoid in place. I was told that if the manifold is not properly torqued to the engine that you can get a number of IMRC failure codes. Also, if the IMRC unit that rotates is not reinserted correctly in the manifold this too can create faults. As per Mr. Low diagrams pay close attention.
Thursday, May 24th, 2018 AT 7:41 PM
KEN
I have seen where the coking inside the intake is so bad the intake runners get gummed up and do not move. If this is the case you will need to remove the clean the intake. FYI
+1
Friday, May 25th, 2018 AT 9:18 AM