• 2004 GMC

I have a 5.7 liter GMC engine in a 18 foot step van. I drove the truck home to ohio from Florida. 1,200 miles. No over heating at all. The engine burns a lot of oil over a quart and a half per tank of gas. There was no smoke from the tail pipe. I did loose some coolant during the trip home. I let the truck sit for 10 days after I got it home then drove it to a tire shop for some tires. During the start up it did not smoke. After 2 minutes running it started to blow white smoke from the tasil pipe. This stopped after jusrt a quarter mile of driving and did no more smoking. I tire shop feels there is a blown head gasket, and has suggested a rebilt engine because of the oil consumption and poor performance of the engine running. It does missfire a bit and the service engine soone light stays on the cose is amisfire I am told. Should I replace the engine or just go to have gasket replaced and heads machined is needed.

Thursday, October 4th, 2012 AT 10:29 PM

• hmac300

Well it only has 83,000 onit so you should find the source of the oi useage. A head gasket may run about $1500 or so but it may be valve seals and they could do that at the same time. If you get a misfire, scan for codes an dcheck fuel pressure as low pressure may cause the misfire or it's an ignition/compression problem. So have a compression check done before you start throwing a motor in because that could cost you $4000 or more and may not need it. It should be actually checked out instead of someone just sayingit's ahead gasket.

Thursday, October 4th, 2012 AT 10:39 PM