2004 Ford F-150 the CAM phaser problem

CPLANT
  • 2004 FORD F-150
The cam phaser or sensor are starting to act up again I had them replaced at about 90000 along with timing chains and guides it is a very common issue in 04 5.4 s was thinking about changing motors what years will bolt up so I don't have to change a bunch of other stuff like tranny or computer it seems only 04 and some 05 had this problem from my research on the net
Friday, April 4th, 2014 AT 7:32 PM

WRENCHTECH
You can't simply put a different engine in there. You have a computer operating system that is engineered for one engine and one engine only, not to mention it would be against federal law to attempt that anyway.

That system is highly dependent on oil condition and viscosity so if you have been lax with oil changes and oil type you will have problems. I would suggest changing the oil using a high quality 5W20 oil.
Saturday, April 5th, 2014 AT 4:19 AM
CPLANT
It does get oil changes at every 30000 mobile1 5w-20w with a motercraft filter especially since 3 months after I bought it I had to have it done so if motor blows I cant replace it because it would be against federal law? Was looking at changing to newer model year motor that didn't have the same problems with cam phasers and that I didn't have to replace the trans. Or wiring or computer the phaser problem was mainly in 04 and 05 models and it is very common in those years transition years that's why they have the heritage version in 04 to was looking at still 5.4 but newer version when they updated the problems
Sunday, April 6th, 2014 AT 8:41 AM
WRENCHTECH
There is no oil in the world that can be left in an engine for 30,000 miles.

You can put another engine in your car, it just has to be the exact same one. Forget the illegal part for a second. No other engine will work under that operating system. It is engineered for that engine and that engine only.
Sunday, April 6th, 2014 AT 9:06 AM