Rumbling sound from frontend when driving

MARIOB539
  • 2004 FORD EXPLORER
  • 100 MILES
Hear a constant rumbling noise coming from the front end when driving feel it in the steering wheel slightly when steer to left it goes away. When steer to the right it continues. Any suggestions?
Monday, March 7th, 2011 AT 5:21 AM

Wheel bearing. You can't go by sound to determine which one. You must run it in gear and jacked up, then listen with a stethoscope.
Monday, March 7th, 2011 AT 5:28 AM
FIXITMR
Make sure your wheel lugnuts are all tight.
Monday, March 7th, 2011 AT 5:36 AM
MARIOB539
Wow- I have to change again? I changed them already 10 months old.I assume I will have to change the entire hub this time. Went to the auto store they said the sell the entire wheel hub assembly with bearing in them. Ok ill try it again. Someoen said to lift the front and shake the wheel. If it moves its the wheel bearing.
Monday, March 7th, 2011 AT 7:02 AM
If it shakes it was really bad a long time ago. Noisy and loose are not the same thing. The single biggest thing that ruins a new bearing is putting weight on it before the spindle nut is tight. To hold the wheel / axle from turning, some people install the wheel then set the tire on the ground to hold it when they tighten the nut. At that point the bearing was damaged. What works much better is sticking a punch in the cooling slots of the rotor to keep it from turning. The torque value is very high too, typically between 180 and 240 foot pounds. Don't rely on feel; use a click-type torque wrench. If you don't have to grunt when tightening the nut, it isn't tight enough.
Monday, March 7th, 2011 AT 3:02 PM
FIXITMR
Dont buy the chinese bearings.
Monday, March 7th, 2011 AT 10:43 PM
MARIOB539
Went to the part store in my area. Place has a good reputation for quality parts been here forever. They only sell the entire hub with bearings inside already. Should I just change them out?
Right side?
Tuesday, March 8th, 2011 AT 2:23 AM
Those complete assemblies cost more than the older pressed-in bearings but are much easier to replace. GM has always used the bolt-on assemblies. Chrysler started on a few models in '87; now they all use that style. Ford took a long time to totally switch over but I think that's all they use now.

On most of these with the bolt-on style, you absolutely can not tell which bearing is noisy even when it sounds like it is coming from a certain corner. You have to jack it up and run it in gear, then listen next to each one with a stethoscope.
Tuesday, March 8th, 2011 AT 3:12 AM