REMOTE DOOR LOCKS - INTERMITTANT

2004 Ford Explorer

RBrowne001

October, 8, 2013 AT 11:29 AM

2004 Ford Explorer.

Here is a problem I have been fighting for a while. One day after heavy rains, I noticed the lights, radio, and door locks would not work. Fixed these with the WD-40 in the door switch as noted on this site.

NEXT. Had another bunch of situations. I reset the VSM by disconnecting and re-connecting the battery.

NOW. The remote unlock intermittently works to lock and unlock the doors. Most of the time, I have to unlock the door with the key, get in and start the truck and repeatedly press the inside unlock button. It seems that once the alternator voltage increases, the unlock button works.

The same holds true when exiting the vehicle. I have to hit lock with the engine running. It will want to unlock automatically due to the security system. Shut the truck off immediately and hit lock one more time.

These two workarounds work 100% of the time, and 40% of the time the remote works too. I did notice that when I press the unlock one time on the remote, instead of unlocking the door and turning on the dome light, it just turns on the dome light.

Any suggestions appreciated. Trying to stay away from the dealer, as I have heard the first thing they want to do is replace the Vehicle Security Module.

Door Locks

Door Locks Are Not Working

bobbybizzal

October, 8, 2013 AT 11:41 AM

Have you ever had the interior of the truck get wet? Especially around the drivers side floor board?

bobbybizzal

October, 8, 2013 AT 11:44 AM

If you did, there is a wiring harness that runs by the drivers side floor board. I had an explorer that I had the carpet shampoo done and it ruined my harness. My windows worked on and off, cruise stopped working, A/C stopped working, etc etc etc due to one time getting the floorboard wet.

RBrowne001

October, 8, 2013 AT 12:51 PM

No, but I have heard of leaks around the keypad and front Windshield. I don't think the keypad is working at all currently. I was thinking maybe there is a ground on the VSM that may have gotten wet and corroded, possibly shorting out. I'm going to check that today along with the keypad.

hmac300

October, 9, 2013 AT 8:07 AM

Try cleaning your battery terminal ends as it may not be getting enough power while engine off. Then clean whatever ground especially body to battery and battery to engine. And reset security. Also take remote to auto parts to see if it's working ok theycan test it.

Windshield Wiper Replacement Kia Sportage
Windshield Wiper Blade Replacement Volkswagen
Wiper Blade Replacement Toyota Tundra
Hood Shock Replacement - Rear Porsche
Wiper Blade Replacement Acura MDX
Windshield Wiper Replacement Ford Escape
Wiper Blade Replacement Porsche Carrera