SXT VIBRATION NOISE

2004 Dodge Stratus

rswain

April, 25, 2012 AT 3:53 PM

I have an '04 Dodge Stratus SXT, 4 cyl, 2.4L, SOHC. When coming to a stop, there seems to be a bit of a vibration coming from the engine compartment. This only happens when you are almost at a stop and usually terminates within 2 to 3 seconds of being stopped, but sometimes will last until back in motion. I have tried shifting into neutral while slowing down (it's an automatic transmission) and this seems to correct the problem. There doesn't seem to be any mechanical problem other than the noise. Any ideas what this could be?

fixitmr

April, 25, 2012 AT 4:34 PM

Maybe some thing is loose? If you put it in park it quits?

rswain

April, 25, 2012 AT 5:13 PM

Correct, it only does this when in drive and for the first 2 to 3 seconds of coming to a stop. I would think if something was loose it would rattle more at higher RPMs.

fixitmr

April, 25, 2012 AT 8:52 PM

Do you think engine is NOT running smoothly when this happens?

rswain

April, 25, 2012 AT 10:34 PM

Engine is running well. I hace personally kept up wiyh all maintenance. I'm starting to believe it is related to my brake system. It seems most related to this and is almost a grinding noise and vibration. Possibly the rear drum brakes or master cylinder? Thr car has good stopping power that doesnt seem affected at all by this problem.

rswain

April, 25, 2012 AT 10:41 PM

The fact that it only occurs when in drive makes me think it has to do with the torque converter?

fixitmr

April, 26, 2012 AT 4:30 AM

Hard to say from here. Maybe local mechanic can drive and diagnos?

mikederouin88

April, 26, 2012 AT 5:23 AM

Sounds to me like the balance shaft belt and if it is the car needs immediate attention as the balance shaft belt is behind the timing belt and that is an interference engine

Engine Cylinder Compression Test - All Cars
Engine Mount Replacement Chevrolet Cavalier
Engine Torque Mount Replacement