WHY AM I HAVEING TROUBLE GETTING MY CAR IN REVERSE?

2004 Dodge Neon

masson42

July, 20, 2012 AT 7:50 PM

Recently I have been having trouble getting the 5 speed manual transmission into reverse. The car's OBD is not showing any codes. What could be the cause? Do I need a new clutch or is it a problem with the linkage?

saturntech9

July, 20, 2012 AT 8:01 PM

A manual transmission wont set codes. So does it grind into reverse or just hard to get into it?Also any other gears have a problem?

masson42

July, 20, 2012 AT 8:09 PM

There is no grinding of gears it just has a problem going in. I have tried granny shifting and double clutching to get it in with no success. I think it may be a clutch or linkage issue but I am no good with transmission work.

saturntech9

July, 20, 2012 AT 8:23 PM

If its a clutch/pressure plate issue it would effect all the gears not just one. You going to have to inspect the shifter cables etc for excessive play loose unhooked. Something thing that just doesnt look right If nothing there its in the shift tower on the transmission or inside the transmission itself. Could even be a damaged syncro/blocker for reverse inside the transmission.

Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma