2004 Dodge Intrepid car stalls, tranny problems

TAYLORJOHN
  • 2004 DODGE INTREPID
  • TURBO
On the tranny, when I drive it runs fine until I slow to 20 mph. Then the passing gear kicks in. So I must stop and kill car. Restart and drive away. It will drive fine until I slow to 20mph and it will do it again. Somtimes when I drive car will stall and will not start for about 20 minutes. Now car has stalled and wont start at all. The lights come on but will not make a sound.
Tuesday, September 30th, 2014 AT 10:45 PM

That's not nearly enough information to diagnose anything, but I think I can make a good suggestion. That "passing gear" you referred to is second gear, and that's the default for "limp mode" when the Transmission Computer detects a problem. You get it out of limp mode by turning the ignition switch off, then restarting the engine. There is going to be a diagnostic fault code stored in that computer. Having that code read is the place to start with the diagnosis. It will indicate the circuit or system that needs further diagnosis, or the unacceptable operating condition.

There may be a fault code in the Engine Computer too related to the stalling condition, but you listed two conflicting symptoms. The original stalling, and restarting after 20 minutes is typical of a failing camshaft position sensor or crankshaft position sensor. They often fail by becoming heat-sensitive, then will work again after cooling down.

The no-start you have now is different and could be related to the transmission problem. If there's no light click from the starter relay when you turn the ignition switch to "crank", one of the possible causes is a defective neutral safety switch. It is actually a range sensor on your car and it can cause a fault code to set that sends the system into limp mode. It sounds to me like you have three problems with a total of two causes.
Tuesday, September 30th, 2014 AT 11:01 PM