CAM SHAFT CIRCUIT SENSOR ISSUE AND ELECTICAL SYSTEM...ARE THEY RELATED?

2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer

Aquila316

June, 27, 2012 AT 7:21 PM

My engine light has been coming on and then going off for several months. It is also the cam shaft sensor as I see many people with this same make/model are experiencing. I had one mechanic tell me it is not important while another told me that the car may stop running if the sensor is not replaced. I drive in excess of 500 miles a week, so my getting stranded somewhere in the woods at 5 in the morning with a small child is of a huge concern. What exactly is the timing? Is the cam shaft involved in the timing? Now my charging system is not charging my battery, and I was wondering if this is related to the sensor?

caradiodoc

June, 27, 2012 AT 7:33 PM

The place to start is with the charging system. Due to its design, starting with '87 models, they produce huge voltage spikes that can destroy the generator's internal diodes and voltage regulator, and they can interfere with computer sensor signals. It is common to go through four to six generators in the life of a GM vehicle. To reduce the chances of another failure, replace the battery at the same time. As they age they lose their ability to dampen and absorb those spikes. The old battery may work fine in an '86 or older vehicle.

Start with that, THEN pursue the fault codes if that problem persists. On many newer vehicles such as yours, the engine will continue running if the camshaft sensor fails WHILE it's running, but the engine may not restart after you stop it. Often those sensors fail by becoming heat-sensitive and they will work again and let the engine start after cooling down for an hour or two.

Camshaft Angle Sensor Replacement P0015