WHY DOES MY CAR MAKE NOISE WHEN I ACCELERATE? I ...

2004 Chevrolet Malibu

KebelerElf

March, 7, 2013 AT 8:14 PM

Why does my car make noise when I accelerate? I took to a garage and they cleaned the brakes, got 2 new tires and aligned them, and got a new serpentine belt.

caradiodoc

March, 7, 2013 AT 8:52 PM

They all do. Engines, exhaust systems, transmissions, tires all make noise that gets louder when you accelerate.

KebelerElf

March, 7, 2013 AT 9:04 PM

Yes of course, but it has never been like this before, it sounds like a ticking sound, and when I slow down I hear it whine down. Sometimes its louder than other times.

caradiodoc

March, 7, 2013 AT 9:46 PM

Based on that description I'd start by looking at the electric radiator fan. Normally it will not need to turn on when the car is moving since natural air flow through the radiator is sufficient, however, that is about the only thing that will slow down at a different rate than the engine or car.

There is a tool you might be able to borrow or rent from an auto parts store that borrows them called the "Chassis Ear". It is a set of six microphones, a switch box, and headphones. You clip the microphones to suspect points, then drive around while listening with the headphones. You can move the microphones around to zero in on the source of the noise. Be aware that many mechanics have never seen or even heard of this tool. Suspension and alignment mechanics use it to find rattles, squeaks, and other noises.

Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet