KEY WON'T TURN IN THE IGNITION

2004 Chevrolet Impala

trpreacher

Removed instrument cluster from our 2004 impala to send in for repair. Now, suddenly, key won't turn in the ignition and steering wheel doesn't move.

Now car is inoperable, stuck in the street. Tried jiggling / tapping keys, disconnecting battery, etc.

saturntech9

So is the cylinder stuck in the lock position?Does the key look worn down?Have you tried turning the steering wheel while turning the ignition key?

trpreacher

Yes, it is stuck in locked position. While the steering wheel usually locks, it doesn't lock now. I have, however, tried turning the wheel as well as jiggling the gear selector as much as it can be jiggled, all while trying to turn the key. Thanks.

saturntech9

I also asked if the key looks worn down a worn key will cause the lock to not turn as well. Try this get a hammer and lightly tap on the key hole opening then see if the lock turns.

fixitmr

January, 7, 2012 AT 3:15 AM

Got another key to try?

GM Key Fob Programming
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Guide