THE LIGHTS ABOVE THE LICENSE PLATE ARE OUT

• chrysnehs
  • 2004 Chevrolet Aveo

The lights above the license plate are out. New bulbs didn't fix it - checked the wiring and found a snapped wire. The power comes off the rear left lights (I think) and is connected with a white doodad. The wire is snapped just above that connection. I can't get the remaining wire out of the connector (may be missing something here).

Do I need to replace that whole piece, just the one wire (there are three), or do a simple wire splice?

Saturday, December 1st, 2012 AT 10:39 PM

• ASEMaster6371

A wire splice is a good fix. Solder and shrink wrap the connection

Saturday, December 1st, 2012 AT 10:49 PM
  • chrysnehs

Lets pretend that I read "solder and shrink wrap" as "cover with electrical tape". Still a workable solution?

And basic review for my benefit - wire splice will entail removing covering from the wire near the break and then rolling the two pieces together. (There's not enough of a lead on the one side for me to use a standard electrical wire connector like I would for combining the wires for a ceiling fan)

and Thank You for the help!

Sunday, December 2nd, 2012 AT 1:43 AM