OVER HEATING ENGINE AND DEAD BATTERY

2004 BMW 330ci

cfried12

December, 7, 2010 AT 8:46 PM

2004 330ci BMW engine over heated the car died, now the car won, t start and the battery light is on and red. Clicking noise when turning the ignition on

Wrenchtech

December, 7, 2010 AT 8:54 PM

The battery light is supposed to be on if the car isn't running yet. You need to first charge and test the battery and then test the charging system after it's running.

Dr. Hagerty

December, 7, 2010 AT 11:42 PM

The overheating concerns me, tell me more about this issue.

cfried12

December, 8, 2010 AT 11:26 PM

The car made a sharp noise and then completely died. After I turned it back on the engine twemp went all thew way to hot, and begane to smoke and smell a little. Then I was able to pull it off the highway into a parking garage, left it there for a day and came back with oil anti and coolant. The car strted but 7 minutes into the drive strted to over heat again. Then I got the car towed to my apartment and the car wont strt. The battery had 11 volts but when the ignition was turned the battery got sucked dry. Now when u try to strt it, it clicks and doesnt strt

Wrenchtech

December, 8, 2010 AT 11:38 PM

I expect your problem should be very obvious. It sounds like the alternator or even the water pump has locked up. Inspect the belts and see if they are all intact still.

Dr. Hagerty

December, 9, 2010 AT 12:35 AM

I agree with my associate, and the possibility that you may not know what to look for is present. If that possibility exists, have the car towed and inspected straightaway as driving with cooling system issues that are unresolved can complicate the repairs that may already be required. I dont want to have it be worse than it already is, if you know what I mean.

Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement
Alternator testing done right