COOLING SYSTEM

2004 BMW 330

gwenlouque

BMW 2004 330i automatic. About a week ago I put "stop leak" in my radiator because I had a hairline fracture in my expansion tank. I just replaced my expansion tank and transmission thermosat and took it for a test drive and it ran hot, but the coolant wasn't hot at all. Any clue what the problem is?

Dr. Hagerty

The stop leak stuff is not a good idea to use, you may have plugged up the steam holes in the head gasket.

Dr. Hagerty

There is also an air bleerer screw on the top of the expansion tank, it needs to be opened when filling the system to allow the air trapped in the system to escape, was this done?

gwenlouque

Just bled the system and no longer overheating, but now the heater will not work.

gwenlouque

The heater will work on feet and vents by winshield fine. Nice and warm but about 70degrees on face vents. Any clue? The bleeding worked!

Dr. Hagerty

You are seeing normal operation, the center vents are not going to blow hot air, this is a strategy that BMW has used for quite some time. You must have recently aquired the car, yes?

Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Coolant Drain and Refill Chevrolet Tahoe
Coolant Drain and Refill Scion XD