JUST DROVE AROUND DOING ERRANDS MEANING FREQUATE...

2003 Volkswagen Passat

dangelaw

November, 1, 2012 AT 11:48 PM

Just drove around doing errands, meaning frequate stops so turning car on and off a lot. It is an automatic. Did feel at one point it was starting to lose power during drive. Now at home parked, turned off, lights off and keys out. The brake lights won't shut off? Where can I begin to look to solve this problem?

exovcds

November, 2, 2012 AT 12:56 AM

Brake light switch was covered under a recall at one time. If not replaced on your vehicle, it should be a free repair at your local VW Dealer.

Try pulling UP on the brake pedal to see if the lights go off. I'll look for a fuse # that you can pull. Reply back after you have pulled up on the
pedal and I should have a fuse number for you by then.

Thomas

DrCranknWrench

November, 2, 2012 AT 11:14 AM

If you are losing power and the brakes are not returning all the way they may be stuck and not releasing properly. This is overheating the brakes and creating a dangerous situation. If the brake pedal moves when you pull on it and the light goes off that is good as exovcds stated. However, to be safe I would jack up each wheel and make sure it moves freely.

exovcds

November, 2, 2012 AT 2:15 PM

The loss of power is because the switch is sending a "brake applied" (even though no actual pressure is applied) signal to the ECM. That is
causing it (the ECM) to reduce power.

I am not aware of "brake dragging issues" with the Passats.

Thomas

DrCranknWrench

November, 2, 2012 AT 3:05 PM

Thanks exovcds. I was very concerned that it could be a safety issue and did not want to take any chances. I am glad you are an expert in Volswagons. Specific information is hard to come by and always appreciated. Thanks

exovcds

November, 3, 2012 AT 12:33 AM

No problem, you could also be right. Just thought I'd explain the bit about the brake light switch.

Thomas

DrCranknWrench

November, 3, 2012 AT 4:15 AM

Never heard of that type of signal to ECU. Is it reducing power to the engine?

exovcds

November, 3, 2012 AT 4:29 AM

ECM ABS TCM all pay attention to brake (light) switch. Gas pedal signal says go, but brake pedal says I'm applying brakes. Someone (control unit) is going
to get confused and performance / driveability will be affected (shifting, accelerating, traction control).

Thomas

DrCranknWrench

November, 3, 2012 AT 7:01 PM

That is great information to know and will help me to help a customer in the future. So I really appreciate it. I have learned a good bit from other techs since working here. I have gotten KHLOW to help me with a few issues that I could not figure out. He is very helpful as well as everyone else. Anybody will help you out if you message them. It is a really good team of people and I hope you stay aboard and join in on the fun.
Thanks again
Dr. C

Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Find Out How to Test Your Catalytic Converter
Fuel Filters Replacement 2015 RAM 2500 6.7L
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford Mustang