THE CAR WAS RUNNING HOT

2003 Volkswagen Jetta

nate71

January, 5, 2012 AT 12:31 AM

What can cause car not to start after replacing the water pump and timing belt on a 2003 jetta 2.0? The timing marks line up so I replaced the water pump, and timing belt. I lined the cam mark up, then lined the crank mark up and checked it by the transmission. What could be causing the car not to start. How can I check to see if it is firing on compression stroke?

Running Hot

Jacobandnickolas

January, 5, 2012 AT 12:41 AM

Check to see if you are getting spark and fuel to the engine. Start there. You may have disconnected or bumped something.

nate71

January, 5, 2012 AT 12:59 AM

I'm getting a spark, but this engine doesn't have a distributor, so how can I check to see if it is sparking on the compression stroke or the exhaust stroke! The fuel line was under pressure when I started to disconnect it, I can also hear the pump when I turn the key on!This engine only has 2 timing marks, one on the crank, and one on the camshaft sprocket.

Jacobandnickolas

January, 5, 2012 AT 7:43 AM

Using a timing light, connect it to the number one plug wire. Then crank the engine. There is a timing mark on the harmonic ballancer that will show TDC. Every time the mark on the harmonic ballancer passes TDC, the timing light should light.

F4I_guy

January, 9, 2012 AT 1:54 AM

Which timing mark for the crankshaft did you use? You have to use the one on the flywheel. And the marks are different if it's an AT or MT. Have you tried scanning it?

Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement Chrysler PT
Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement Chevrolet
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer