HAVING LEFT MY 03 TUNDRA FOR A TAILSHAFT ...

2003 Toyota Tundra

lpeek

December, 23, 2012 AT 8:53 PM

Having left my 03 tundra for a tailshaft extension bushing replacement twice and not getting it replaced looks like I am going to have to do it. I have the bushing and seal and fipg. I am going to have to remove the extension( I don't have a bushing removal tool and I don't know if there is one for toyota as is for gm and ford) I assume the bushing is pressed in from the driveshaft yoke direction. If anyone has done one of these what do I need to be careful of. Thanks lpeek

December, 23, 2012 AT 9:02 PM

A bushing driver lit works fine for the replacement.

Remove the housing, remove the seal and you can knock out the old one with a flat ended punch.

Install the new one. Install seal.

Make sure the front u joint is good as it will cause this failure

lpeek

December, 23, 2012 AT 9:20 PM

Thanks I will check the ujoint It should be good I am suprised at this leak the truck only has 85k miles. I have already replaced the seal and it still leaks. The youk looked good no wear or ridge. Hopefully this will stop the leak whick is small but I can't stand a oil leal

December, 23, 2012 AT 9:52 PM

The seal is rarely the problem. The shaft wobbles and that is the leak. The bushing wearing out causes the leak.

lpeek

December, 24, 2012 AT 4:17 PM

Thanks I will let you know how this goes and if an old shade tree mechanic should attempt this. I do have access to a lift which is a big plus. Lpeek

December, 24, 2012 AT 4:20 PM

Good luck

Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars
Replace Drive Shaft U-Joint Like a Pro
CV Axle Replacement
Transmission Speed Sensor Replacement Honda