CV JOINT

• c21jk1
  • 2003 Toyota Sequoia

I have a 2003 sequoia with a leaking cv joint boot wondering if it would be better to replace boot or whole axle assembly on drivers side? How hard for a shade tree mechanic?

Thursday, July 14th, 2011 AT 12:46 AM

• mhpautos

It will be easier to fit a new shaft, doing it at home can be trick as you may have trouble undoing the shaft end nut, do you have a get jack and stands as well, if you want to do this, let me know and I will send the method.

Thursday, July 14th, 2011 AT 2:35 AM
  • c21jk1

Yeah let me know the method thanks

Thursday, July 14th, 2011 AT 8:00 PM
  • rivermikerat

It's called EZ Boot or Speedie-Boot. With these all you have to do is cut the old boot and clamps off, clean off any contaminated grease, fit the new boot, refill with grease, tighten the clamps and bolts, and you're done. BUT, if the old boot has been leaking for awhile, you need to clean the joint and check it for pits or grooves. If the joint is in good condition, just replace the boot. If not, replace the axle shaft.
Remove the wheel. Remove the axle nut. Remove the caliper and lower ball joint. Use the correct tool to separate the axle and spindle.

Sunday, September 25th, 2011 AT 1:23 AM
  • rivermikerat

Most shops and mechanics won't recommend this type of repair. It is slightly less reliable than custom-fit boots, but the labor and parts costs are much lower than either replacing the joint/half-shaft or using a custom-fit boot. They can't charge you as much for a EZ Boot/Speedie-Boot.

Sunday, September 25th, 2011 AT 1:25 AM