2003 Toyota Rav4 Sticking Temperature Guage Needle

4X4MAN
  • 2003 TOYOTA RAV4
The temperature gauge on my Rav 4 2000cc 3 door sticks in one position whether the ignition is on or not. I removed the gauge which is integral with the dials and spayed it with electrical contact cleaner, and now it falls back to zero when the ignition is turned off (some improvement). However if I gently tap on the dashboard where the gauge is with the ignition turned on the needle will move to the correct position when the engine is at working temperature. A new gauge is (wait for it) £750.00. So the question I would like to ask is, could I apply some silicone lubricant on the needle shaft at the rear of the gauge or would this cause damage?

Any help would be appreciated.
Friday, September 6th, 2013 AT 11:33 AM

You could try it but look into getting the cluster rebuilt it may be anelectricl problem like stepper motor or similar. Those are usually cheaper as well.
-1
Friday, September 6th, 2013 AT 12:10 PM
4X4MAN
Hi Hmac300,
Thanks for your help I will look into the cost of a rebuild, I have also come across a telephone number for Denso who manufactured it for Toyota, will try ringing them for advice too!

Regards, 4x4man
Friday, September 6th, 2013 AT 4:29 PM