Where is the knock sensor located on a 2003 Toyota Camry?

MADDOG77
  • 2003 TOYOTA CAMRY

I just ran a OBDII scan on my 2003 Toyota Camry: LE; 4 Cyl 2.4L, automatic transmission in which it gave me a P0325 code. I know this has to do with the knock sensor. My question is, where is it located on this vehicle & what do I have to do to get to it in order to replace it?

Monday, August 20th, 2012 AT 7:55 PM

NOTE: Knock sensor may also be referred to as knock sensor No. 1.

Removal & Installation (Camry)

1. Knock sensor is located on side of cylinder block, just below intake manifold. See Fig. 10.
2. Service information is not available from manufacturer. It may be necessary to remove engine with transaxle to gain access for removal of intake manifold. For engine removal, see appropriate article in ENGINES.
3. It may be necessary to remove intake manifold for access to knock sensor. Use Oil Pressure Switch Socket (SST 09816 30010), or equivalent, when servicing knock sensor.
4. Tighten knock sensor and intake manifold bolts/nuts (if removed) to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS.

Fig. 10: Locating Knock Sensor (Camry & Highlander)

+4
Monday, August 20th, 2012 AT 8:18 PM
MADDOG77

So, I won't have to take off the intake manifold to get to it then, right?

-2
Monday, August 20th, 2012 AT 8:37 PM

Reread item 3

Monday, August 20th, 2012 AT 8:38 PM
MADDOG77

Sorry, hmac300! I didn't see your response at first. It looks as though I'll have to take off the intake manifold in order to get to the sensor, unless I can find an extension wrench. Why do they have to make everything so difficult & frustrating to get to?

Monday, August 20th, 2012 AT 8:51 PM

Because they make cars to assemble not repair. Engineers don't think that way because they have never repaired a car.

Monday, August 20th, 2012 AT 8:53 PM
MADDOG77

Well said! Thanks for your help! I think I have a better understanding of where it's located & what it's going to take to get to it, now. Also, I was told that I can tap the engine block to make sure it's not just a lose wire or corrision built up, first.

Monday, August 20th, 2012 AT 9:11 PM
KHLOW2008

If you have the correct tool then you don't need to remove the manifold.

Monday, August 20th, 2012 AT 10:26 PM

Yes you can do that with tapping the block

Monday, August 20th, 2012 AT 10:59 PM
WRENCHTECH

[quote]I was told that I can tap the engine block to make sure it's not just a lose wire or corrision built up, first. [/Quote]
No, not exactly.

If you have a scan tool with the capability of monitoring the knock sensor signal, you can simulate a knock by tapping on the block and see if the computer sees it but you already know it's not because it's setting the code. It won't tell you what the issue with the circuit is though.

Monday, August 20th, 2012 AT 11:04 PM
KHLOW2008

For Toyota engines this sensor is a common failure.

Monday, August 20th, 2012 AT 11:14 PM