ELECTRICAL SHORT

2003 Subaru Forester

forester86

June, 15, 2011 AT 9:37 PM

My trip meter/tachometer/speedometer intermittently shuts off and hitting the dashboard turns it back on. What is happening/can I fix it?

Docfixit

June, 16, 2011 AT 3:56 PM

Well your either "The Fonz" or there is a poor connection to dash /printed circuit board. Pull instrument check connections

forester86

June, 17, 2011 AT 8:31 PM

I pulled out my guages and checked the connections. Im pretty sure its the wires brcause when I manipulate the wires attached to the connectors it turns off and on. It still seems like an electrical short.

Docfixit

June, 17, 2011 AT 8:36 PM

A shot is a pathway to ground bypassing the circut and will blow a fuse. What you have is loose pin connections or crack in printed circuit board

forester86

June, 17, 2011 AT 8:42 PM

It must be the pin connections because I checked the circuit board on the back of the guages and its fine. Will this be an expensive fix?

Docfixit

June, 17, 2011 AT 8:46 PM

If pins on circuit board not loose then maybe able to squeeze connector female ends to make good fit

forester86

June, 17, 2011 AT 8:53 PM

So far the fonz trick is the only thing that works. The male and female connection is tight. But if the wires on the back of the male connection get moved it will shut off.

Docfixit

June, 17, 2011 AT 8:57 PM

Maybe internal brake in wire try to wiggle on at a time use tweezers

Alternator testing done right