ENGINE LOW POWER UP A HILL

2003 Saturn L200

keshiarogers

December, 27, 2011 AT 6:31 PM

My 2003 saturn l200 is missing and the fan comes on soon when I crank it up but it is not running hot it wont get up and go. I changed the coil pack and the sparks plug put that's not the problem.

My car takes it time up a hill my dad thinks it the catalytic converter. The fan comes on soon when I crank it up and stays on I be smelling fumes coming from the car exhaust.

rivermikerat

December, 27, 2011 AT 6:35 PM

Sounds like a catalytic converter, to me, too. Disconnect it and take it for a test drive. Preferably install a test pipe where te converter should go to keep back pressure where it should be and sound levels down.

saturntech9

December, 27, 2011 AT 8:34 PM

Just to add to this one you replaced the coil pack what about the ignition module?Also did you replace the spark plugs?Your best bet is to take it to a exhaust shop and have them do whats called a back pressure test. If its not the cat it could be that the timing chain jumped.I have seen a lot of them jump on those and if they jump enough it will cause a missfire and the cooling fan to stay on while it runs. Let me know what you find I have also replaced a ton of cats on those cars also. Does the ever not shift to the next gear up untill you ket off the gas a little?If so its most likely a plugged cat.

keshiarogers

December, 27, 2011 AT 9:42 PM

Yes it don't shift gears until I get off the gas. I had got stuck in the mudd the day before my care started to act up. U don't think that could have caused it?

saturntech9

December, 28, 2011 AT 12:13 AM

I dont think the mud did it but if it wont shift till you let off the gas the first thing I would do is take it to a exhaust shop and have them do a back pressure test. Let me know what you find.

Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Find Out How to Test Your Catalytic Converter
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Filter Replacment BMW 525i
Fuel Filters Replacement 2015 RAM 2500 6.7L