ENGINE LOW POWER UP A HILL

• keshiarogers
  • 2003 Saturn L200

My 2003 saturn l200 is missing and the fan comes on soon when I crank it up but it is not running hot it wont get up and go. I changed the coil pack and the sparks plug put that's not the problem.

My car takes it time up a hill my dad thinks it the catalytic converter. The fan comes on soon when I crank it up and stays on I be smelling fumes coming from the car exhaust.

Tuesday, December 27th, 2011 AT 6:31 PM

• rivermikerat

Sounds like a catalytic converter, to me, too. Disconnect it and take it for a test drive. Preferably install a test pipe where te converter should go to keep back pressure where it should be and sound levels down.

Tuesday, December 27th, 2011 AT 6:35 PM
  • saturntech9

Just to add to this one you replaced the coil pack what about the ignition module?Also did you replace the spark plugs?Your best bet is to take it to a exhaust shop and have them do whats called a back pressure test. If its not the cat it could be that the timing chain jumped.I have seen a lot of them jump on those and if they jump enough it will cause a missfire and the cooling fan to stay on while it runs. Let me know what you find I have also replaced a ton of cats on those cars also. Does the ever not shift to the next gear up untill you ket off the gas a little?If so its most likely a plugged cat.

Tuesday, December 27th, 2011 AT 8:34 PM
  • keshiarogers

Yes it don't shift gears until I get off the gas. I had got stuck in the mudd the day before my care started to act up. U don't think that could have caused it?

Tuesday, December 27th, 2011 AT 9:42 PM
  • saturntech9

I dont think the mud did it but if it wont shift till you let off the gas the first thing I would do is take it to a exhaust shop and have them do a back pressure test. Let me know what you find.

Wednesday, December 28th, 2011 AT 12:13 AM