ENGINE REVING AT HIGHEST IDLE....

2003 Saturn L200

millikin55

October, 28, 2011 AT 4:07 AM

I can not get my car out of park. All the interior and dash lights blink on and off and engine reving up at highest idle

rivermikerat

October, 28, 2011 AT 4:11 AM

Check the grounds for the interior lighting. Make sure the throttle cable isn't binding and that the throttle body is moving when the pedal is depressed. Make sure the Park lock is being disengaged when the button is pressed or the shift lever is pulled forward.

rivermikerat

October, 28, 2011 AT 4:12 AM

See my other response. One thread is enough please.

millikin55

October, 28, 2011 AT 4:43 AM

I need to get my car to a mechanic. Just trying to get an idea what to expect. The battery light came on and about 5 miles later the car acted like it was possesed. Engine reving at highest rpmss all lights blinking on and off very rapidly. I took the positive off the battery for 10min and when I put it back on it started and idled fine then started acting possesed again with all the same problems?

rivermikerat

October, 28, 2011 AT 5:09 AM

10 minutes is almost enough to clear stored codes. Have it scanned for both soft and hard codes.

saturntech9

October, 28, 2011 AT 5:29 AM

Just to add to this one if the battery light came on while driving or with the engine running the first thing I would check is what the voltage is at the battery cables with the engine running and the battery light on. Let me know what you find.

rivermikerat

October, 28, 2011 AT 5:40 AM

Saturntech is much better with Saturns than I am. I'll let him go forward with you on this and check in so I can learn what he knows.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars