COIL PACK OR COIL CONTROL MODULE?

2003 Saturn L200

mikehengstberger

October, 7, 2012 AT 10:07 PM

My 03 LW200 has no spark on the #4 cylinder only. I was just curious as to which of these items could be the problem? Thanks

saturntech9

October, 7, 2012 AT 10:15 PM

Do you have any codes?I would say coil cassette I have replaced alot of those for that problem.

mikehengstberger

October, 7, 2012 AT 10:41 PM

The only code was #4 misfiring. I replaced the plugs and it was still misfiring. Checked for spark on each cylinder and #4 was dead. I noticed it looked like there were 2 coils in the coil pack. I seemed if one were bad I would have 2 cylinders misfiring. Both parts (the coil pack and Ingnition control mudule) are about $100 each. I was just seeing if someone knew of a common problem with either so I could purchase the correct one and not spend $200.

saturntech9

October, 7, 2012 AT 11:14 PM

The coil is the common failure for that issue I used to replace those when I worked at the saturn dealership. The coil cassette comes complete with both coils housing etc. Then you swap over your old ignition module.I have seen just one cylinder not spark and it was a bad coil in the coil cassettes. There may be a way to just replace the one coil available in the aftermarket parts.

saturntech9

October, 7, 2012 AT 11:21 PM

Ac delco D512a coil cassette on amazon is only 81.42 on amazon.

mikehengstberger

October, 8, 2012 AT 2:37 AM

Thank you and I will post after I try this.

saturntech9

October, 8, 2012 AT 2:45 AM

That should be the fix a new coil cassette let me know how it runs.

mikehengstberger

October, 9, 2012 AT 2:20 AM

The coil cassette as you call it seems to have done the trick.

saturntech9

October, 9, 2012 AT 2:41 AM

Your welcome glad to hear it all the cars I have had with that issue was bad coil cassettes

Jaguar11

March, 6, 2013 AT 5:30 PM

My car is doing the same thing. Misfire on #4. I've already changed out the ignition coil. Do you think the ignition control module could be the problem? Or maybe the second ignition coil I got was bad?

saturntech9

March, 7, 2013 AT 3:23 AM

Do you have spark on cylinder 4?

Ignition Coil Replacement Ford Taurus
Ignition Coil System Test Repair - All Cars
Ignition System Test Guide