BRAKE LIGHT PROBLEMS

2003 Saturn Ion

tmshane1429

February, 19, 2011 AT 8:15 AM

My passenger side brake light on my 2003 Saturn Ion does not work but the drivers side does. I replaced the bulbs and fuse but it is doing the same thing. What can be the problem?

mhpautos

February, 19, 2011 AT 8:17 AM

May be a bad power or earth connection at the globe holder, check with a test light that you have a circuit across the power and earth pin with the brakes on.

tmshane1429

February, 19, 2011 AT 8:27 AM

Um ok. Now what is a power or earth connection at the globe holder? Please explain. Thanks

mhpautos

February, 19, 2011 AT 8:32 AM

When you take the globe out, on the base of the globe are 2 contacts that make a contact with simelar contacts in the globe holder, one is power and one is earth, if you connect the two in the globe holder by placing a test light between the tow contacts you will see if a circuits is complete and this will be the test light turning on, some times the contacts get a bit corroded and don't work very well.

Mark (mhpautos.

tmshane1429

February, 19, 2011 AT 8:34 AM

Ok thanks. Is that a fairly easy repair to make? I know how to do all the basic and a few advanced repairs but this one really has me puzzled

mhpautos

February, 19, 2011 AT 8:37 AM

Do the checks first, check for power test light to body(ground) and Pos pin for brake lights, have some one press on the brakes while you test.

M_H_RITZEL

February, 19, 2011 AT 4:08 PM

Basically what mhautos is saying is check to see if you are getting power to that plug when you press on the brakes. If so check the plug to make sure it is clean so the bulb can make a good contact. Also as he says check the ground and ground wire.

tmshane1429

February, 19, 2011 AT 10:53 PM

I am definately getting power to the plug and the plug as well as the bulb is clean. No corrosion. It seems to only doing it on the stop light. When I put on my parking lights the assembly lights up. But when I press the brake pedal, the brake light does not turn on. Any ideas on this? I can not afford to be stopped by the local police department again for a tail light being out. Please help if you can. Thanks

mhpautos

February, 19, 2011 AT 11:36 PM

If you have power with the pedal down at the globe holder, it will be an earth or a faulty globe.

Brake Light Bulb Replacement
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Subaru Legacy
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Chevrolet
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz
Headlight Bulb Replacement GMC Yukon