2003 SATURN ION BRAKE LIGHT PROBLEMS

• tmshane1429
  • 2003 Saturn Ion
  • automatic

My passenger side brake light on my 2003 Saturn Ion does not work but the drivers side does. I replaced the bulbs and fuse but it is doing the same thing. What can be the problem?

Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 8:15 AM

• mhpautos

May be a bad power or earth connection at the globe holder, check with a test light that you have a circuit across the power and earth pin with the brakes on.

Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 8:17 AM
  • tmshane1429

Um ok. Now what is a power or earth connection at the globe holder? Please explain. Thanks

Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 8:27 AM
  • mhpautos

When you take the globe out, on the base of the globe are 2 contacts that make a contact with simelar contacts in the globe holder, one is power and one is earth, if you connect the two in the globe holder by placing a test light between the tow contacts you will see if a circuits is complete and this will be the test light turning on, some times the contacts get a bit corroded and don't work very well.

Mark (mhpautos.

Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 8:32 AM
  • tmshane1429

Ok thanks. Is that a fairly easy repair to make? I know how to do all the basic and a few advanced repairs but this one really has me puzzled

Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 8:34 AM
  • mhpautos

Do the checks first, check for power test light to body(ground) and Pos pin for brake lights, have some one press on the brakes while you test.

Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 8:37 AM
  • M_H_RITZEL

Basically what mhautos is saying is check to see if you are getting power to that plug when you press on the brakes. If so check the plug to make sure it is clean so the bulb can make a good contact. Also as he says check the ground and ground wire.

Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 4:08 PM
  • tmshane1429

I am definately getting power to the plug and the plug as well as the bulb is clean. No corrosion. It seems to only doing it on the stop light. When I put on my parking lights the assembly lights up. But when I press the brake pedal, the brake light does not turn on. Any ideas on this? I can not afford to be stopped by the local police department again for a tail light being out. Please help if you can. Thanks

Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 10:53 PM
  • mhpautos

If you have power with the pedal down at the globe holder, it will be an earth or a faulty globe.

Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 11:36 PM