HAS MY TIMING CHAIN BROKE, OR COULD IT JUST BE MY TIMING CHAIN TENSIONER?

• mitchb1029
  • 2003 Pontiac Vibe

My 2003 Vibe Gt just wouldn't start one day. I never heard anny odd noises before hand, and it drove perfect up until I parked it the night before. I've had a timing belt break on a 93 honda before, and my vibe is making a similar sound that. The starter turns but the engine itself doesnt seem to be turning over. Is my timing chain broken, or could it be the timing tensioner? Is there anything else that could be causing these symptoms?

Thursday, October 13th, 2011 AT 7:06 PM

• Docfixit

Fuel pump or loss of ignition. Dose accessory belt turn when engine cranked? Engine turning faster like no compression?

Thursday, October 13th, 2011 AT 7:17 PM
  • mitchb1029

The car has 104,000 miles not 10,400 by the way(typing error). The accessory belt turns when the engine is cranked so it is not the starter. Yes, the engine turns faster like there is no compression which is why I believe it has something to do with the timing chain

Tuesday, November 8th, 2011 AT 5:34 PM
  • Docfixit

Check engine compression if LOW then chain failure

Tuesday, November 8th, 2011 AT 7:24 PM