ENGINE CUTS OUT INTERMITENLY WHEN IT DOES ENGINE...

2003 Pontiac Bonneville

Anonymous

February, 16, 2013 AT 3:29 PM

Engine cuts out intermitenly when it does engine light flashes on and communication to snap on solus scanner is lost. No codes are set when it cuts out seems like its loosing power to the PCM. Engine also quits intermitenly when it does a code is set for the mass air flow sensor and engine wont restart until code is cleared. I have replaced the mass air flow sensor, Battery, fuel pump and filter. Fuel pressure is 45 to 50 psi. Engine runs good most of the time

Wrenchtech

February, 16, 2013 AT 3:43 PM

This is sounding more like a bad PCM.

mccaw

February, 17, 2013 AT 4:30 PM

What is the best way to verify that the PCM is failing?

Wrenchtech

February, 17, 2013 AT 8:42 PM

That can be very difficult because there is no way to prove a PCM is at fault. What you have to do is verify everything in and out of the PCM, including all power supplies, grounds and sensor inputs.

mccaw

February, 18, 2013 AT 12:46 AM

I dont no if this helps but I replaced the PCM relay and the engine doesnt cut out any more. But it does still dies completly after about 2 miles becoming more frequent the more it is driven. Logging a code for the mass air flow sensor everytime and not restarting until the code is cleared. Once the code is cleared it runs fine until it acts up again. I have also noticed that if I keep a steady speed it will quit running everytime. But if I run it up to 60 mph let it coast down to 50 mph and then back up never staying at a consistant speed it will not quit running. When it does Quit running its like the key was shut off no miss, hickup, or ruff running

Wrenchtech

February, 18, 2013 AT 1:00 AM

You are going to have to somehow determine which function drops out first at the split second as the engine dies as to spark, injector pulse, fuel pressure. It's not easy but that is the route that has to be taken.

Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Toyota Tacoma
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Ford Explorer 1995