EXHAUSE SMELL IN CAR

2003 Oldsmobile Alero

sixson63

March, 12, 2011 AT 4:18 PM

I have a 2003 Alero with 145K miles. About 25K miles ago I started smelling exhaust in the car when stopped at a light or stop sign. I don't notice any performance problems, fuel mileage is excellent, and I don't hear any excessive exhaust noise when accelerating. Any ideas?

Jacobandnickolas

April, 7, 2011 AT 1:38 PM

If you smell it in the car, check for exhaust manifold leaks. Also, check for leaks after the muffler if there has been no change in sound.

sixson63

April, 7, 2011 AT 8:27 PM

Thanks. There has been no change in sound, the manifold was my first guess as well, but again, no change in sound. When I put the ventilation on recirculate the exhaust smell goes away. Anything else I should look at?

Jacobandnickolas

April, 8, 2011 AT 2:19 AM

Keep in mind, a manifold leak will most likely make a slight ticking sound. Also, check to make sure there are no leaks near the Y-pipe and the EGR. We own an expedition that was doing the same thing. My wife drives it. She smelled exhaust just as you described, but she never told me she heard a slight ticking sound in the AM, It was a cracked manifold.

Let me know what you find.

Blend Door Actuator Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Saturn Vue
Window Switch Replacement and Test
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement