MY CAR JUST STARTED RUNNING ROUGH IN THE MORNING...

• Salmon6
  • 2003 OLDSMOBILE ALERO

My car just started running rough in the morning when started then smoothes out after a few seconds. The main problem is it will drive fine for about 10 miles or so then start to cut out (RPMs fluctuate but ultimately go down) even if I push on the gas it will continue to die down untill it either dies or I stop and turn it off. After about 10 min of sitting it will start up and go for a little while longer untill the same thing happens again. I've replace the fuel filter and the purge valve solenoid. Help please

Monday, November 26th, 2012 AT 6:52 PM

• Mekanic4755
  • 86 POSTS

Sounds like the electric fuel pump is going bad. Thanks for using2CarPros

Monday, November 26th, 2012 AT 9:45 PM
  • Salmon6

OK, it's getting worse and I'm not going to drive it again till it's fixed. Also to let you know the "check engine soon" light was on and I had it scanned, the codes were PO300, PO442, AND PO446. I know one was a code for a bad gas cap that I fixed. Could the other ones be fixed by getting a new fuel pump? Or do I need to worry more about the cylinder misfire code?

Tuesday, November 27th, 2012 AT 1:46 AM
  • Mekanic4755
  • 86 POSTS

The cyl. Misfire codes are probably a result low fuel pressure or an ign. Problem. Thanks for using2CarPros

Tuesday, November 27th, 2012 AT 1:53 AM
  • Salmon6

So if I get a new fuel pump the misfires should go away?

Tuesday, November 27th, 2012 AT 1:55 AM
  • Mekanic4755
  • 86 POSTS

The only way to be sure is to run a fuel pressure test, to get an accurate pressure on the pump when the problems is happening. Thanks for using2CarPros

Tuesday, December 4th, 2012 AT 3:34 AM