CORRECTING SCRATCHED CYLINDER

2003 Nissan Sentra

jcarnes

July, 5, 2012 AT 9:25 PM

So my 2.5L Sentra SE-R has been burning a large amount of oil (around 1 quart/week). It is definitely burning oil and not leaking as there is no evidence of oil in my garage and there is some black buildup around the exhaust. I have taken it to my local shop and they found a scratch in cylinder 1 that is causing this oil consumption. This looks to have happened when the catalytic converter went out and pieces of this were sucked into the engine (which appears to be common on this engine).

I was told that my only option is to replace the engine. Now my question is if I realistically have any other options? Such as honing the cylinder or maybe even boring the cylinder out and using larger pistons or rings? Now I know it is impossible to say for sure without seeing the damage yourself but is this something that I should be looking in to or is there no point?

July, 5, 2012 AT 9:32 PM

Check the compression for no.1 or do a leakdown test on it-could be the valves or rings/cylinder wear- this will tell you what you need to do-rebuild the engine or go with a used one-

Wax Your Car the Right Way
Headlight Bulb Replacement Acura MDX
Windshield Wiper Blade Replacement Hummer H2
Windshield Wiper Replacement Ford Escape
Wiper Blade Replacement Toyota Tundra